New Orange Saddle Puffer owner!

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
ctennessen
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Knoxville, Tennessee

New Orange Saddle Puffer owner!

Post by ctennessen »

My name is Colin. I brought home my fugu Orange Saddle around the 16th of August. He is alone in a 40 breeder with a salinity of about 1.008. Spiderwood and a few rocks on a sand substrate. He seems healthy and happy. Eats frozen blood worms and frozen shrimp scraps from my work without a problem.

My first experience with puffers was in January of this year. It was a green spotted puffer that I bought from a chain store that was a complete disaster. I hadn't even cycled the tank. His fins were a mess from being transported with 20 others. He didn't make it more than a few days. Since that mistake I took the time to learn and read and research and I finally felt ready to bring one home for good.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: New Orange Saddle Puffer owner!

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
You have just purchased the MOST DIFFICULT puffer to keep alive. Even the most expert pufferkeepers have issues keeping these in captivity for more than 2 years, before their health fails. What has been discovered is these are saltwater fish that need cool temps:
library/puffers-in-focus/takifuguocellatus/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
acerimmer
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Present puffer, fugu puffer only had him/her for few a months. but coping well
1 f8 puffer which lived for 3 years :(
Location (country): burton on trent, england

Post by acerimmer »

hi, i had 1 of these. their a lovely puffer, but yes they are hard to keep. i had mine for nearly 2 years but died due to white spot. totaly gutted as i cant find anyomre for sale locally. my temp was about 24 and 1.024 and doing great untell then. make sure u have sand as they like to burrow in it lol
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
NJD
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): UK

Post by NJD »

acerimmer wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:49 am hi, i had 1 of these. their a lovely puffer, but yes they are hard to keep. i had mine for nearly 2 years but died due to white spot. totaly gutted as i cant find anyomre for sale locally. my temp was about 24 and 1.024 and doing great untell then. make sure u have sand as they like to burrow in it lol
The water zoo in peterborough currently have one if you still want one - not too far