Mappa puffer food choice

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
Daj0424
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Mappa puffer food choice

Post by Daj0424 »

Hi all, glad to be a member here to learn more about puffer care. I purchased a 2" golden mappa puffer for my 120g Fowlr tank that I have had for 15+ years. This is not my first mappa as my last one over 3 years outgrew my 90 g. However, the golden mappa I have now is not an agressive eater like I am used too. It barely goes after the frozen brine, mysis, and reef frenzy frozen food I offer. Same for 3 different kinds of pellets offered, and freeze dried mysis and krill. The only food I have seen that will get it excited about is seaweed. Is that normal. He has been in my display tank for 1 week and in qt for a week prior. He has been like this from day one. In the display I have a trigger, tusk, hawk and damsel that go crazy when food is presented so I need my new addition to keep pace. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Mappa puffer food choice

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
You're going to need a MUCH larger tank to house an adult Mappa. What are your plans for upgrading? Minimum tank size is 250g (& that's without tank mates).
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=28775

Go with foods you can get from the produce dept of your grocery store. Make sure they are RAW & nothing added (like preservatives). Freeze & then thaw in vitamin-water (Vita-Chem works well).

library/puffers-in-focus/big-marine-pufferfish-care/
library/feeding/feeding-your-puffers/
library/feeding/problems-feeding-your-puffer/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"