clean up crew recomendations for a gsp tank

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
1st timer
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): Canada

clean up crew recomendations for a gsp tank

Post by 1st timer »

curious to see who has had luck with it in a gsp tank. Looking for something to add to my tank to help keep it clean.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: clean up crew recomendations for a gsp tank

Post by Pufferpunk »

You'll need to do your own maid service in a GSP tank.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Will likely be the case that you can only add your hands to clean a gsp tank in afraid
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Maggiec
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: GSP: Puff Diddy
GSP: Julia *RIP*
GSP: Nan
2 ocellaris clowns (Fred & Ginger), Yellow Watchman goby (Snape) & fine-striped pistol shrimp (Blondie), lawnmower blenny (Lennie *RIP*), mandarin (Po), tailspot blenny (Basil), longnose hawkfish (Fergus), flame hawkfish (Carol), fromia (Peach), Springeri damsel (Neil)

CUC: tuxedo urchin (Spike), electric blue hermit (Hagrid), 3 turbo snails, turban snail, orange lip conch (Ron), 5 scarlet leg hermits, purple acro crab (Spot)*RIP*.
Location (country): Canada (Vancouver)

Post by Maggiec »

I've had success with those great big turbo snails. I have an electric blue hermit that does incredible cleaning - this is the great big one, not the little blue ones. My guys also totally ignore the tuxedo urchin who is excellent. They do still occasionally check out the 2 smaller hermits. They show the greatest interest in the conches, sniffing pecking here and there, but their shells protect them. I've had the same CUC for the year I've had the tank but I guess it depends on the GSP. I would never put a poor shrimp in there though. Definitely need a hefty shell for protection.
pokeystar
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka aka Mr Big Puff
2 GSP Pickle and Noodle
My children name the fish
Location (country): Ireland

Post by pokeystar »

I have hermits and a tuxedo urchin . Hermits need hard shells and will be eaten over time.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

If they can flip over the urchin, they will be eaten too. ALL cleaners are nothing more than food reserves for a larger puffer species. ;)
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Maggiec
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: GSP: Puff Diddy
GSP: Julia *RIP*
GSP: Nan
2 ocellaris clowns (Fred & Ginger), Yellow Watchman goby (Snape) & fine-striped pistol shrimp (Blondie), lawnmower blenny (Lennie *RIP*), mandarin (Po), tailspot blenny (Basil), longnose hawkfish (Fergus), flame hawkfish (Carol), fromia (Peach), Springeri damsel (Neil)

CUC: tuxedo urchin (Spike), electric blue hermit (Hagrid), 3 turbo snails, turban snail, orange lip conch (Ron), 5 scarlet leg hermits, purple acro crab (Spot)*RIP*.
Location (country): Canada (Vancouver)

Post by Maggiec »

They sure do like to hunt, that's for sure. My tank has a sizeable population of the bigger amphipods, and both the GSPs and the long nose hawkfish love to hunt them. When the daylights go off, they all hunt intently around the rockwork, which seems to be a great way to keep them out of trouble. I've found the conches have good shells allowing them to retreat very deeply. The electric blue hermit is using a big Murex shell which is very thick and he can retreat very deep as well.