Tank Size for Porcupine?

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
sarahnya
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): United Kingdom

Tank Size for Porcupine?

Post by sarahnya »

What's the recommended size tank in litres for a Porcupine and also how do you tell the subspecies apart. I've been reading and apparently some are 12 inch while others get much larger but every fish place ive been to just lists them as Porcupine or Spiney Puffer...

Also what other equipment is needed.

Thanks
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Tank Size for Porcupine?

Post by Pufferpunk »

I'd say a 120 or 125g is good. They grow to 12". You'll need 1 1/2-2lbs live rock/gallon, 1" sand, protein skimmer & heater. It's up to you, if you want a drilled tank with sump.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
sarahnya
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by sarahnya »

Do you have any idea what that is in litres?

It amazes me the walrus they tell you in fish shops, I've never know walrus like it.

One guy insisted they only get to 6 inch which I know simply isn't true.

I'm new to fish keeping and the flippant way they view life is a bit odd and all. I asked about cycling a tank and he said to just chuck some cheap fish in there to cycle it and then at least if they die it didn't cost me much! Any other pet trade behaved in that way they would have the law breathing down their neck!

So much misinformation on species etc. Told me SAP couldn't be kept in a group and looked at me gone out when I asked about dentistry and if it was important to feed mainly Snail. Seriously I'm glad I came here or those fish wouldn't stand a chance, God knows how many animals have suffered because of their advice. I wish if they didn't have a clue they would just say so!
pufferjkb
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada -Halifax, NS

Post by pufferjkb »

There's confusion caused by the names used. The diodons are collectively referred to as the Porcupine fish family. In the NE Atlantic these are Diodon Hystrix, Diodon Holocantus, and assorted Burrfish.

The big, 2 foot one is Diodon Hystrix. It is also the one the scientists have officially named THE porcupine fish.

All the others max out at about a foot. The one aquarium keepers refer to as porcupine fish Is Diodon Holocanthus, whose scientific name is actually the Balloonfish.

If the store people thought you meant the scientific Porcupine Fish (Hystrix) that would explain the misleading info.
Arny
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): uk

Post by Arny »

In pufferpedia it says they grow to 19 inches
pufferjkb
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada -Halifax, NS

Post by pufferjkb »

My reference above should be to the Northwest Atlantic, not the Northeast Atlantic. Sorry for the error.
sarahnya
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by sarahnya »

Cheers, I did mention there were multiple types but again I got the gone out look.

So the smaller would be Holocanthus, I'll remember that one. Do they look very similar?

Just weighing up how much more space I'd need and extra work that goes into maintaining a marine tank.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

To maintain a marine tank, you'll need an RODI system & a mixing bucket.
I had this plumbed into the basement, for easy WC:

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
sarahnya
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by sarahnya »

Ah no way, I don't have a basement in my house so I guess that counts out marine! No way do I have room in my living room either.