Puffer tank

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
kkaeterle
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Puffer tank

Post by kkaeterle »

Hi everyone! I recently acquired a 90 gallon tank (Approx. 34" x 21"x 36") with sand bed & live rock. Filtration: sump, biomedia, UV, Protein skimmer, & carbon reactor. I would love to do a "puffer tank", with small Indo-Pacific puffers like the saddle valentini puffer, spotted puffer, leopard puffer, and/or blue spotted puffer. Of course, after doing some research, I'm not sure if this is realistic. Can anyone give me some insight as to how many small puffers I could successfully keep in this tank? If only 1-2, any recommendations on other compatible fish species?

Thanks for your thought!

Kristy
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Puffer tank

Post by Pufferpunk »

I have kept the valantini, coronata & blue-spotted together. But again, it always depends on the personality of the puffer, whether it plays well with others. How much LR do you have?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Toeykill
Puffer Fry
Location (country): 456

Post by Toeykill »

Most people who have read this story. I believe them to be happy too. It is the knowledge that the one that has it.
Neri123
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Armenia

Post by Neri123 »

I've keep in my tank 3 small puffers.My tank is the same size as yours
Walla2GSP
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: "Tank" - Dogface Puffer
"Mule" - GSP
'Bob" - GSP "Rescue"
Location (country): USA

Post by Walla2GSP »

I keep a Dogface and 2 GSPs in a 80 gallon tank together. Eventually the Dogface will need to have his own tank, I just haven't had the money to do so the last couple of years. I will say they have established a good working relationship based on size and personality. The Dogface is big and shy, the GSPs are small and aggressive. The GSPs stay out of Tank's way when he comes to eat, but they can easily steal food and send him running if they get hungry, and they are always hungry. The one thing with keeping puffers in my experience is you need to think out plumbing and your sump carefully. All of your clean up crews and macros will have to live in the refugium to avoid being eaten, and your returns should be plumbed to create wave action (two pumps) and heavy flow (30-40 TPH). Saltwater Puffers are dirty and shy, so get lots of Xport or marine Pure for the sump, add an extra sock filter, and create lots of little caves with your live rock for them to wedge into. I tried damsels initially with puffers and would not recommend that. My wife HAD to have a tomato clown who has surprisingly flourished with the puffers, but i would not recommend a pair as they will become too aggressive and bully your puffers. Recently I added a Lawnmower Blenny and matted Filefish to the mix who both seem to have quickly established themselves in the pecking order, I'm not sure how they will do long term but initial reactions seem good.