Tank mates for dogface

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
Ayre
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Tank mates for dogface

Post by Ayre »

I haven't posted again since I first joined. I have been busy setting up some new equipment, trying to get my tank updated for its new residence. The 40 gallon qt is almost ready. I am seeding some material in my 150g.
I'm still plumbing the other tank which will house the fish I have now. Which are a 10 year old huge brittle star. She is a good 20 inches. A 10 year old clown named Elmo and his 5 year old year mate Maxine.
I finally decided on the puffer I plan to purchase. (i am slow and very patient ;-) I am going to get a dog face puffer.
Tank is 150g, 29 g refugium, about 30 gallons running through the sump.
Next step is to plan for tank mates. I had planned on just the puffer. After watching YouTube videos of them eating, omg what little piggies! So considering a few fish to help clean up a bit. I thought maybe y'all could help me choose so I can figure out the best order of introduction.
I do not want any fish that might harm my puffer. The tank is for him/her. I do not want the tank stocked heavy at all.
If y'all think the puffer tank would be best for just the puffer that is fine too.
Thank you in advance for any sticking suggestions.
Ayre
Puffer Fry

Re: Tank mates for dogface

Post by Ayre »

I have no idea where 'sticking suggestions' came from! I am mortified! I am on my cell and all I can think of is somevaito correction or started a word.
Please forgive that!
I just want suggestions on whether tank mates would be beneficial due to the messy eating. If so what. In what order.
I have been looking some since I first posted.
A sailfin blenny sounds interesting.
A small 3 or 5 group chromis or cardinals.
A hawk fish.
Or maybe something that eats algae.
I am not set on any of the above.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

You have a lot of options in a 150. I would stick with fast-moving fish that can escape pufferteeth. There is safety in schools, so that is a good idea. I really like wrasses but be sure you have a good cover, as they are carpet-surfers. Butterflys eat aptasia & tangs eat algae. ;)
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Ayre
Puffer Fry

Post by Ayre »

Hi thank you for the suggestion. But I found some compatabilty charts at marinedepot.com
And liveaquaria.com
So I am all set to start slowly stocking as soon as the qt is ready :)
Walla2GSP
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: "Tank" - Dogface Puffer
"Mule" - GSP
'Bob" - GSP "Rescue"

Post by Walla2GSP »

My GSPs, tomato clown, Matted Filefish, and Lawnmower Blenny all do okay with MY Dogface, but you do need to be really careful. Clean up crews are out of the questions for me, anything with a shell gets eaten. A pair of clowns would put my dogface off food, as could my GSPs if they had the temperament. My dogface ate both of the small damselfish I put in the tank. The lawnmower blenny stays out of everyone's way. The matted filefish is a great cleanup addition, my puffers are messy eaters and he never lets left overs hit the bottom of the tank. The one issue you run into with Dogface is they can be very timid, so tankmates can stop them from eating. My matted filefish at 1.25" took the shrimp from my 6" Dogface and the Dogface went to his corner and pouted for two days instead of trying to get it back.