Starting up new tank for my GSPs

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: Starting up new tank for my GSPs

Post by bertie 83 »

There are better wrasses trust me. Once you put a wrasse in you won't get it out ever. My 6 line was a nightmare, it attacked everything. too smart for fish traps
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

One of these would be better. Name evades me now
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Maggiec
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: GSP: Puff Diddy
GSP: Julia *RIP*
GSP: Nan
2 ocellaris clowns (Fred & Ginger), Yellow Watchman goby (Snape) & fine-striped pistol shrimp (Blondie), lawnmower blenny (Lennie *RIP*), mandarin (Po), tailspot blenny (Basil), longnose hawkfish (Fergus), flame hawkfish (Carol), fromia (Peach), Springeri damsel (Neil)

CUC: tuxedo urchin (Spike), electric blue hermit (Hagrid), 3 turbo snails, turban snail, orange lip conch (Ron), 5 scarlet leg hermits, purple acro crab (Spot)*RIP*.
Location (country): Canada (Vancouver)

Post by Maggiec »

Oh, I've been researching wrasses & I think that's a peacock? It's very pretty! But It seems they hide in the sand & disappear? Also, I wanted to keep my substrate quite thin (1.5") will this be too little for them to burrow in?
The aggressiveness of the 6-line did bother me a bit
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

I was curious about wrasses too... I love the colors in the six line but after reading about them, I'm afraid of them!
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Leopard wrasse. And yes, that one does spend a lot of time in the sand. Very delicate fish.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Maggiec
Dwarf Puffer
2 ocellaris clowns (Fred & Ginger), Yellow Watchman goby (Snape) & fine-striped pistol shrimp (Blondie), lawnmower blenny (Lennie *RIP*), mandarin (Po), tailspot blenny (Basil), longnose hawkfish (Fergus), flame hawkfish (Carol), fromia (Peach), Springeri damsel (Neil)

CUC: tuxedo urchin (Spike), electric blue hermit (Hagrid), 3 turbo snails, turban snail, orange lip conch (Ron), 5 scarlet leg hermits, purple acro crab (Spot)*RIP*.

Post by Maggiec »

I was browsing at lfs today & saw a 6-line wrasse. It was so sweet looking. I guess it's like a GSP - looks can be deceiving!

Hey, I got my skimmer! It's a Remora S with pre skimmer included, all for US$55. A fellow with one of the local reef clubs took down his SW tank & had a bunch of stuff, and he lived only 5 mins away too, which means no shipping costs. Sweet! These forums are awesome! He said it was only used for a few days to test a tank. Looks like new, in original packaging. Very sleek - probably barely visible once hung. I'll set it up tomorrow. Looks like I'm on my way :D

BTW...thought a dottyback might be a good alternative but then I read a post by someone who put one in his tank & it killed his 6-line :shock:
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP.
Location (country): United States

Post by Hillehaus »

great price! good job on that find!
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Post by Welch4 »

Nice score! I paid full price for my remora pro s and the thing is fantastic.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

Leopard wrasse that's it. My friend has one that is really outgoing, they can vary too I guess. The 6 lines are stunning but tough. I lost hundreds of pounds of fish to one, never again
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Hillehaus »

Ok, it is obvious I am sleep deprived and I haven't had my coffee yet.

"I lost hundreds of pounds of fish to one, never again"

Before I looked to the left and saw Brighton, England as the location I was thinking:

"How the hell did a single wrasse eat over a hundred pounds of fish?!" I'm slow. Pounds = currency. Pounds = US weight measurement. I was briefly really concerned that you had a single fish eat a weight of 100 pounds in fish. Now I will slink away from the keyboard before something else stupid comes out of my pre-coffee brain...

But yeah...I'm a big fan of my Remora also.
Maggiec
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Maggiec »

Haha..yeah I'm staying away from that wrasse! What a crazy appetite...
Now I'm considering the melanurus wrasse but it's a lot more $$$ (or pounds :D )

Yeah the Remora looks good. Love the dark sleek form, and it feels so solid & well-made compared to the AC 110. I decided not to install it until I pick up my new powerheads this weekend. I tested my water; ammonia & nitrite are 0 but nitrates are 20. I'm thinking that as it's so close to Christmas I might wait for the lfs sales to add any fish.

Question: the guy who sold me the Remora also has 30lbs of dry rock. If I add that to my tank now, will it start another cycle, meaning a delay in adding fish?

I'm not in a hurry to add the puffers. Thinking I should move them at the very end as I'm hoping this might give any potential tankmates a better chance.
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Hillehaus »

it is my understanding that every time you add live rock you have a cycle which depends on how much life is/was on it and how long it was out of water.
Maggiec
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Maggiec »

So many conflicting opinions on the web. So I was thinking that since there's nothing in the tank right now except for 2 turbo snails and 2 million bristle worms, now might be a good time to throw in the extra rock without risking any fish. I've been staring at my rock work & also was thinking abouf re-scaping my layout
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

Is it dry live rock or base rock? If live it will need curing. I would do this seperately or add slowly to the tank.
bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

Hillehaus wrote:Ok, it is obvious I am sleep deprived and I haven't had my coffee yet.

"I lost hundreds of pounds of fish to one, never again"

Before I looked to the left and saw Brighton, England as the location I was thinking:

"How the hell did a single wrasse eat over a hundred pounds of fish?!" I'm slow. Pounds = currency. Pounds = US weight measurement. I was briefly really concerned that you had a single fish eat a weight of 100 pounds in fish. Now I will slink away from the keyboard before something else stupid comes out of my pre-coffee brain...

But yeah...I'm a big fan of my Remora also.
Yes currency lol. He didn't eat them just slammed and picked them to death. He once took a dislike to my big scared of nothing damsel that I hate. Thought my luck was in as the damsel took a right kicking, but alas they soon went back to ignoring each other and beating everything else up. I had the last laugh with the wrasse and will do too with the damsel mwahaha