Stubborn Porcupine

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Re: Stubborn Porcupine

Post by RTR »

Your fish, your tank, your choice.

But you asked for and got excellent advice on puffer handling. A 55 with three highly aggressive fish is really no more suitable as grow-out tank for the porc than was the 20 it was in at the fish shop. I do hope that you do not consider LFS housing as suitable examples to be followed by caring and knowledgeable hobbyists. It certainly is not. Few shop employees or even owners really have much knowledge of long-term fish keeping (years to decades, depending on the family and species).
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Do you know if or what the porc was eating at the LFS?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
chuckfriedrice
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Petey my porcupine Puffer had him since 5/20/2011 about 7 inches now !
Location (country): Royal Palm Beach , Florida - USA

Post by chuckfriedrice »

cbr2586 wrote:Thanks for the advice, I will attempt live food later this morning. Hey chuck does your puffer attack your hermits or snails?
He actually just started eating Nassarius snails . Crabs and crayfish are a favorite .
170G Picasso Trigger, snails,Damsels, Coral Beauty Angelfish and Diamond Goby .
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckfriedrice?feature=mhee
cbr2586
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Porcupine Puffer
Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): United States

Post by cbr2586 »

Pufferpunk: they said that they only had him for two days before I got him and that he was being stubborn for them.

Chuck: okay awesome. I'm gonna have to find a way to make those more readily available. Do you go out and buy em in bulk?

Good news! He ate about 5 ghost shrimp this morning when I dropped them in his tank. Maybe the strike is finally over?
puffykid
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Madison, WI

Post by puffykid »

That's great, hopefully he was just being difficult with the transition. Not sure if this was already talked about but have you treated him for internal parasites most puffers come with them cause they are wild caught. If his stomach seems to get sunken within a day of feeding you may want to treat him. I hope that you enjoy keeping him in the future as I have read that they are one of the best puffers to own.
1 M. Turgidus - 29 gallon
cbr2586
Puffer Fry
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by cbr2586 »

I will definitely watch him and see. I have dosed my tank with pimafix and melafix after I brought him home from the LFS. Thank you for the advice. Where do you guys get your crabs and crayfish for your big puffers?
Squaffy
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1xF8
Location (country): UK

Post by Squaffy »

puffykid wrote:have you treated him for internal parasites
cbr2586 wrote:I have dosed my tank with pimafix and melafix
Good for fungal and bacterial infections. What about internal parasite treatment? What did you use?
chuckfriedrice
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Petey my porcupine Puffer had him since 5/20/2011 about 7 inches now !
Location (country): Royal Palm Beach , Florida - USA

Post by chuckfriedrice »

cbr2586 wrote:Pufferpunk: they said that they only had him for two days before I got him and that he was being stubborn for them.

Chuck: okay awesome. I'm gonna have to find a way to make those more readily available. Do you go out and buy em in bulk?

Good news! He ate about 5 ghost shrimp this morning when I dropped them in his tank. Maybe the strike is finally over?

If you have the space start a feeder tank with Marble crayfish , they are self cloning , Pefect for an endless supply of food. You can usually get them for decent amounts on aquabid!
170G Picasso Trigger, snails,Damsels, Coral Beauty Angelfish and Diamond Goby .
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckfriedrice?feature=mhee
cbr2586
Puffer Fry
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by cbr2586 »

Squaffy: I've been soaking his food in garlic since I've gotten him to start eating recently. Any other suggestions on IP treatments? His stomach doesn't appear to be sunken in at all. For some reason he still won't touch clams or mussels...

Chuck: I will definitely check out setting up a marbled cray tank. I have a 20,15, and 10g tank laying around. What size would you recommend for a crayfish tank?

Any other foods you would recommend? Are rams horns good for them?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Go to your LFS & grab some fiddler crabs.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Squaffy
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1xF8
Location (country): UK

Post by Squaffy »

I see you're in the States, so getting Jungle - Parasite Clear should be easy enough (we can't get it in the UK, I have a friend post it from Florida)

Rather than drop the fizz tabs in the tank, just break a small piece off and soak the food in it, like you're doing with the garlic

If you can't find them, then you should be able to get hold of some Praziquantel powder (the fish variety of course, it comes in different forms for cats, dogs, fish...)

Just for piece of mind it's worth treating a wild caught fish, even if it doesn't show obvious physical signs of infestation

Sounds like you're doing everything you can. Good luck finding some 8)
puffykid
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Madison, WI

Post by puffykid »

Squaffy wrote:I see you're in the States, so getting Jungle - Parasite Clear should be easy enough (we can't get it in the UK, I have a friend post it from Florida)

Rather than drop the fizz tabs in the tank, just break a small piece off and soak the food in it, like you're doing with the garlic

If you can't find them, then you should be able to get hold of some Praziquantel powder (the fish variety of course, it comes in different forms for cats, dogs, fish...)

Just for piece of mind it's worth treating a wild caught fish, even if it doesn't show obvious physical signs of infestation

Sounds like you're doing everything you can. Good luck finding some 8)
+1 above also please upgrade their tank asap, puffers especially ones that get to the larger sizes are very easy to stunt even with high water quality overall volume is also important. Also would love to see some pictures of your current tank.
1 M. Turgidus - 29 gallon
arrivalanche
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Los Angeles, CA

Post by arrivalanche »

+1 on the fiddler crabs. That's how. Got my mappa to eat when he was being stubborn. Puffers love hunting them.

Also, from experience I've learned to never ever buy a fish that they can't show you eating in the store. You are just buying a problem if they aren't eating.
cbr2586
Puffer Fry
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by cbr2586 »

Hey guys sorry for the absence. So after talking with the guys at the LFS I found out that his diet consisted of krill... Which to me definitely explains the lack of wanting other foods. He has eaten plenty of ghost shrimp and 3 fiddler crabs in the past 10 days. He is still turning his head up at clams on a half shell as well as any other marine food soaked in garlic or not. What's the process on weening him off krill? Do I just starve him for a few days until he decides to eat whatever I drop in the tank? Because as fun as it is to watch I refuse to have him only dine on fiddler crabs that are $5 a piece.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

A sole diet of krill is extremely dangerous for a puffer--especially the porc. It will most definitely cause lockjaw & eventually starvation death of your fish. Try these methods for a difficult fish: library/feeding/problems-feeding-your-puffer/