Stubborn Porcupine

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
cbr2586
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Porcupine Puffer
Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): United States

Stubborn Porcupine

Post by cbr2586 »

First off just wanted to say hi! I am brand new to the forum, a recent Marine Bio grad, worked with puffers a lot and fell in love with their personality. I am however seeking advice for my new stubborn puffer. I recently acquired my favorite puffer a D. Holocanthus (Porcupine Puffer) 3.5'' from my LFS exactly one week ago today and have yet to get him to eat. Even with garlic soaking his food (blood worms, mysis shrimp, clams on a half shell, brine shrimp, and squid) I've read that these guys can go on a 3-4 week hunger strikes after being rehoused, should I be worried? I've treated the tank with Pimafix and Melafix just in case, there is no presence of ICH and his beak is not overgrown. He doesn't seem emaciated and likes to explore his new tank and swim around/ hide in the caves. Just looking for advice on what to do next?

Tank: He is in a established 55g aquarium with a 20g sump refugium. He will eventually be rehoused as a 180g is in the works.

Tank Mates: 3'' GSP, 2'' Tomato Clown, 3'' Starry Blenny
*He isn't being bullied at all

Water Parameters:
Specific Gravity 1.025
pH- 8.2
Ammonia- 0ppm
Nitrite- 0ppm
Nitrate- in between 5-10ppm
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: Stubborn Porcupine

Post by bertie 83 »

Hi and welcome. My only thought is that it could be aggression from the gsp puffers. Puffers should not generally be mixed, you have a lot of pufferness going on there for a 55g. A 180 will still leave you overstocked even if aggression is no problem
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Is he hiding a lot or out in the open? I have to agree with bertie on this--the GSP is known to be quite aggressive & a tomato clown is one of the meanest fish I've ever met! Mine bites me every time I put my hand in his tank.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
cbr2586
Puffer Fry
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by cbr2586 »

Maybe I just lucked out but my GSP is incredibly friendly and doesn't even attack my clean up crew, he even backs away from my blenny. My tomato clown is afraid of everything and is last on the pecking order when I put food in the tank... So aggression is not the issue in my opinion with my tank at least. I'm wondering if he was just recently wild caught and is throwing a tantrum. All his other behavior is normal besides not eating and he spends most of his time searching my rocks, I've only caught him sleeping twice in the caves but he does like to explore. I can't explain why he won't eat... Any other suggestions?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Have you tried a live crab or earthworm?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

cbr2586
Puffer Fry
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by cbr2586 »

I have not. I will try that tomorrow morning. Have you ever had a puffer go on a hunger strike for this long?
chuckfriedrice
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Petey my porcupine Puffer had him since 5/20/2011 about 7 inches now !
Location (country): Royal Palm Beach , Florida - USA

Post by chuckfriedrice »

I had a hard time with my guy Petey when I first got him , he would only eat ghost shrimp , Until I introduced him to cray fish on a string , from that point on he started to work up to the fresh raw seafood , but the cray fish was a huge help .
170G Picasso Trigger, snails,Damsels, Coral Beauty Angelfish and Diamond Goby .
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckfriedrice?feature=mhee
cbr2586
Puffer Fry
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by cbr2586 »

Thanks for the advice, I will attempt live food later this morning. Hey chuck does your puffer attack your hermits or snails?
cbr2586
Puffer Fry
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by cbr2586 »

I have noticed something peculiar after watching him all morning, he appears to be only venting his left gill consistently while keeping his right gil flush to his side. It doesn't appear to be affecting him, but has anyone ever heard of that before? Can it be treated? Maybe stress related? I'm heading to my LFS now to pick up a crayfish to try and get him to eat. But if this is what could be deterring him then I have no problem confronting them about the problem. Again I did not notice this until watching him incredibly closely all morning.
cbr2586
Puffer Fry
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by cbr2586 »

*to my post about his gill.. false alarm. I added melafix to the tank and he appears to be using it just fine.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

I strongly agree w/Pufferpunk and Bertie's's posts. The tank is way too small for these hot-tempered fish and a terrible way to try to adapt a porcupine to captivity. NIMHTs, not ever.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
cbr2586
Puffer Fry
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by cbr2586 »

I don't understand how 75g of water volume with at least 10x's turnover is not adequate filtration for 6" of mild tempered fish exhibiting no aggression? If there were extenuating circumstances I'd understand better. And this is a temporary tank. So rather then lecture or have negative comments about my home aquarium skills why not attempt to help the problem of suggesting how I get my puffer to eat which is what I created this post for. Id greatly appreciate it, thanks
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

The main problem could be, 3 very aggressive fish in close quarters. It could also be a hunger strike or countless other things. Most aggression between fish happens at night, we don't see it. Please don't be offended by our comments as we are trying to help.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Overcrowding has nothing to do with filtration. If a fish isn't comfortable in it's enclosed environment, it will stress. Stressed animals tend to not eat.

cbr2586
Puffer Fry
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by cbr2586 »

I understand that aspect and how that tank will not be adequate for him even close to full grown, and I have illustrated that this tank is temporary and a 180g with a 55g sump refugium is in the works. However, seeing as the tank he was purchased from was a 20g that he shared with several other fish including a big trigger makes we want to rule out your overcrowding argument for the time being. And as far as aggression goes he is not being bothered and there are no nips at his fins or body. He isnt discolored and there is no fin rot and his water parameters are near pristine. I'm currently treating him for IP's again because he watched several ghost shrimp walk right by him this afternoon and I feel as though I am running out of feeding options and just have to wait out his hunger strike. I know you guys are avid about puffers which is why I joined after reading through several forum topics, I'm not trying to abuse this animal and I don't see him as a test subject for my papers. I assure you he is in good hands, and I do greatly appreciate the suggestions and help thus far and would be happy to answer any questions that would aid in this puffer starting to eat again. Thanks!