New porcupine puffer

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
Nikel1922
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United states

New porcupine puffer

Post by Nikel1922 »

Hello my name is Tyler, I've had a 30 gallon reef tank with all LEDs for a while now so I know some bout salt water, cleaning and treating the water...but I just recently set up a 60 gallon predator that is cycling now. And am hoping to get a younger porcupine puffer for the tank. I am aware they are messy eaters and need frequent water changes. I may even set up a 40 gallon sump for more water volume to the tank. But being new to puffers I just wanted to ask the experts if they think my well taken care of 60 gallon will make a happy home for a porcupine puffer? Lookin forward to hearing advice from anyone willing to help! Thanks!!!
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Re: New porcupine puffer

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Welcome! It is said that a porky puff needs a minimum of 120 gallons. Ideally 180 would be preferred. If you havent got the porky yet can we convince you to get a Green Spotted Puffer? That tank would be ideal for him as they dont get as big as a porky would. Otherwise it would be good to plan on an eventual upgrade.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: New porcupine puffer

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
I agree 100%, it needs 2x that water volume. With 2lbs LT/g, there's not going to be very much water volume left for him.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"