Anemones in a Puffer Tank?

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
Black Widow

Anemones in a Puffer Tank?

Post by Black Widow »

Just bought an Anemone which I am acclimatising right now, but I am wondering what will happen if I put it in my Puffer Tank, i.e. will they attempt to eat it?

Tank Mates are a Ceylon Puffer, Guineafowl Puffer and an Emperor Angel.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Anemones in a Puffer Tank?

Post by Pufferpunk »

I can't imagine they'd taste good. What species? What kind of lighting do you have?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Black Widow

Post by Black Widow »

Pufferpunk wrote:I can't imagine they'd taste good. What species? What kind of lighting do you have?
It is a Snakelock Anemone: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snakelocks_anemone, also I have regular T5 Lighting, but at the moment the Anemone is in my sump as I am not sure whether they will eat it yet?
Annaxox
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: None yet! ^^ I will be bringing home one Green Spotted Puffer within the nest week or two though! Very excited!
Location (country): United States: Michigan

Post by Annaxox »

I'm really curious about this as well. I did read one post through the search on this forum that the puffer would be curious about the anemone and get hurt or killed when it stung them but I can't offer any first hand info xD Sorry!
briguy44
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 2 GSPs
Location (country): Idaho, USA

Post by briguy44 »

I have one in with my gsps. They pick at pretty much everything else but stay clear of the anemone. When I first put it in one of my puffers was really curious with the nem so he went up to it giving it the look around until one of the tentacles came around and touched him. The little guy went ballistic, darting around the tank for a good ten seconds until he went back to normal. Within minutes my other gsp got curious with the same exact outcome. I kind of felt bad but it was one of the funniest things I have seen them do so i couldn't help but laugh. Needless to say neither of them go near the nem anymore. It's been six months problem free.
"THIS PURPLE BELT IS NOT A TOY, THIS IS A MESSAGE TO THE ENTIRE OFFICE SO THAT EVERYONE CAN SEE I CAN PHYSICALLY DOMINATE THEM"
-- DWIGHT SCHRUTE
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

briguy44 wrote:I have one in with my gsps. They pick at pretty much everything else but stay clear of the anemone. When I first put it in one of my puffers was really curious with the nem so he went up to it giving it the look around until one of the tentacles came around and touched him. The little guy went ballistic, darting around the tank for a good ten seconds until he went back to normal. Within minutes my other gsp got curious with the same exact outcome. I kind of felt bad but it was one of the funniest things I have seen them do so i couldn't help but laugh. Needless to say neither of them go near the nem anymore. It's been six months problem free.

And you didn't have your camera ready???
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
Corvus
Mentor

Post by Corvus »

Large Arothron puffers can easily destroy anemones. This does not happen always, but has occured. Anemones become interesting to puffers as soon as they have caught some food.

Small puffers (small GSPs for example) can be caught and eaten by large anemones with a potent sting.
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

I don't like the idea of anemones in a puffer tank, or vice versa. NIMFT.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
fishologist43
Puffer Fry
Location (country): united states

Post by fishologist43 »

well i dont have experience with your specific puffers but my porcupine puffer lives happily with a carpet and long tentacle anemone. he never goes near them let alone try to eat them. he did get stung by my carpet once and he was fine but now he is much more careful when swimming near it lol.

the only thing i can think of is that if the puffers can get to the base of the anemone they might attack it where it cant sting. both of my anemones bases are hidden in the rocks where the puffer couldnt get to them even if he wanted to.

its always a game of chance with these things and sometimes you win, sometimes you dont.
you could try putting the anemone in and just keep a very careful eye on it and if the puffers start looking at it funny (you know when they get all cross eyed lol) you could put it back into the sump. i dont know about your puffers but mine goes cross eyed and its the funniest thing ive ever seen.

anemones are partially photosynthetic but both of mine are under less than one watt per gallon of T5s and they look great. i feed them chunks of silver sides every other day.

hope this helps and just keep in mind whats best for your livestock. :)
las
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): usa

Post by las »

My puffer sampled a mushroom and hated it. Has never done it again. So at lest i can decorate my tank a little bit with shrooms. I wouldnt put anything that could sting my puffer in my tank. Sounds mean to me.
Puffeloversmom
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Post by Puffeloversmom »

My son just put one in his tank..3 days later...both his puffer Fred and his angel were dead. He said he checked and bought a non stinging type but, thats the only conclusion to both fish being dead at the same time. Either that or they release a toxin.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

They don't release toxins. Only a lot of ammonia if they die. Anemones are extremely sensitive animals. Unless there placed into a long-established, very stable tank, they cannot exist.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"