Baby porcupine puffer *W/Pics*

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
D1105
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Valentini and Porcupine
Location (country): Chicago, USA

Baby porcupine puffer *W/Pics*

Post by D1105 »

I've been lurking here for a while now and wanted to post some pictures of my porcupine puffer. He has been the best addition to my 180 gallon FOWLR. He has been eating well since day one when I picked him up from my LFS. The only challenge I have now is not to spoil him with food when he begs with those big eyes... :D

Here's a picture I took when I first added him to my tank...

Here's a picture I took today when I saw him puff for the first time right after feeding him. Not sure why he puffed up but I'm glad I had the camera ready since it only lasted for 30 seconds...
xrayjeeper83
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka named Bloat
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon
Location (country): USA

Re: Baby porcupine puffer *W/Pics*

Post by xrayjeeper83 »

God I want one of them......So cute
RTR wrote:Fahakas do not have tank mates, they may have swimming food reserves.
stangd1909
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by stangd1909 »

very cool man!
chuckfriedrice
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Petey my porcupine Puffer had him since 5/20/2011 about 7 inches now !
Location (country): Royal Palm Beach , Florida - USA

Post by chuckfriedrice »

Great shot of the puff up ! Mine has never puffed other than being attacked by his food !
170G Picasso Trigger, snails,Damsels, Coral Beauty Angelfish and Diamond Goby .
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckfriedrice?feature=mhee
Troender
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x GSP (Bolla), 1x m. something. Bought as a leiurus, maybe a turgidus (Tiger), 1x c. irrubesco (Tott(a) aka Houdini) 1x c. salivator (Jack the Ripper), 1x m. cochinchinensis (Hufflepuff - R.I.P.), 2x c. lorteti (Tommy and Tigern = Calvin and Hubbes), 1x m. suvatti (Koseklumpen), 1x m. palembangensis (Dragonfly), 2x t. biocellatus (Koken and Fiken).

Post by Troender »

Awww! Such a cute little thing! I really wish I had room for one.
Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider! -George Carlin

Purifire
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 2 Dwarf Puffers (C. Travancoricus) , 1 male 1 female.

Saddled Toby (C. Vallintini)

Have kept GSPs
Location (country): United States, Lompoc CA

Post by Purifire »

Those Diodons are the type of puff I would keep out of all the species I know... if I had room. There's one at my lfs that's in love with me lol
29 Gallon Marine tank, with refugium, skimmer. Base rock, coral skeletons. Stock: Baby Ocellaurus Clown, young Saddled Toby, 3 Hermit crabs,one 2 inch Bristle Worm, hitch hiking starfish.

10g Biotope. 3 C. Travancoricus (Dwarf Puffer) Some Ghost shrimp, gravel/sand substrate, heavily planted with Swords and Java Moss.

10g LR Culture Tank. 10+ pounds fiji LR / base rock. Assorted hitch hiking inverts

Some FW tanks.

In My Experience, Fishkeeping is like Cooking. Five or ten basics will keep anyone from getting sick. But to be truly magnificent... You have to know the right Recipies.
El Scorpio
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: none, at the moment...
Location (country): Louisville, KY.

Post by El Scorpio »

If I just had the ROOM for a big tank for a porcupine puffer I'd of had one several years ago. Ahh, nope. Guess it's just gonna be me and Camille for a while.
puffykid
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Madison, WI

Post by puffykid »

"jealous" I've wanted a baby porky ever since I've seen 1 at a lfs = [ maybe someday when I am out of college and have some spare money = /
1 M. Turgidus - 29 gallon
D1105
Puffer Fry

Post by D1105 »

Thanks fellas! This is my first saltwater tank and I'm glad my friend talked me into buying his tank especially since I only wanted a 40g at first. I'm glad I listened since after reading up on porcupine puffers it turns out that my 180g was the minimum size requirement. The tank is still a work in progress, I still need to replace the PVC return pipes with a black one so it doesn't stand out. So far I have upgraded my protein skimmer to a new one that handles up to 200g. I have also replaced the lights with a LED setup (marineland reef LED). Here are a few pics of the tank...

Here's a picture of my Valentini...I saw him at PETCO up for adoption ($5 donation). The previous owner had him for 4yrs but could not care for him anymore. His mouth is chipped however he is still able to eat small pieces of food that doesn't require too much effort to bite. I felt bad for him and had to take him home.

His favorite spot at night to rest with his rock mates...
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

The Valentini looks thin, If he doesn't fatten up in a week, treat them all for IPs. I'm also not sure it's a great idea housing the 2 specie of puffers together.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
D1105
Puffer Fry

Post by D1105 »

I've had the Valentini for about 3 weeks now and have seen him at PETCO for 2 weeks prior (we went on vacation and did not want to pick him up) and have never seen it fat or bigger than what his size is now. He has trouble eating bigger pieces of shrimp so I usually feed him mysis instead. I would like to treat it for IP like you mentioned. Do you have any recomendations on what treatment to buy? That's too bad that I can't keep both puffers in one tank because they get along fine. I'd hate to let him go....
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Try to find the Jungle fizz tablets & soak their food in it. My toby loves seaweed sheets, too.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Purifire
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 2 Dwarf Puffers (C. Travancoricus) , 1 male 1 female.

Saddled Toby (C. Vallintini)

Have kept GSPs
Location (country): United States, Lompoc CA

Post by Purifire »

That is such an awesome tank. The scale of some of those rock pieces is deceptive. They seem "normal" size, in relation to the chunks I'm used to using... then you see the fish next to em, and blam!... you realize thats an effin huge pc of rock. Adorable puffs too, both of em.

:metal:
29 Gallon Marine tank, with refugium, skimmer. Base rock, coral skeletons. Stock: Baby Ocellaurus Clown, young Saddled Toby, 3 Hermit crabs,one 2 inch Bristle Worm, hitch hiking starfish.

10g Biotope. 3 C. Travancoricus (Dwarf Puffer) Some Ghost shrimp, gravel/sand substrate, heavily planted with Swords and Java Moss.

10g LR Culture Tank. 10+ pounds fiji LR / base rock. Assorted hitch hiking inverts

Some FW tanks.

In My Experience, Fishkeeping is like Cooking. Five or ten basics will keep anyone from getting sick. But to be truly magnificent... You have to know the right Recipies.
El Scorpio
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: none, at the moment...
Location (country): Louisville, KY.

Post by El Scorpio »

I'm always afraid to put a lot of rock like that in the tank. I'm not exactly sure how much weight that bottom glass panel can take before everything drops straight through it.
xrayjeeper83
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka named Bloat
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon

Post by xrayjeeper83 »

If you properly support the bottom you dont have to worry about that.
RTR wrote:Fahakas do not have tank mates, they may have swimming food reserves.