What Puffer Will Eat NLS Pellets?

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
SkullV

What Puffer Will Eat NLS Pellets?

Post by SkullV »

After giving away my stars and stripes puffer to a larger home (very depressing moment) I am looking for a small (toby) type of puffer to fill the void. The only catch is that all my other fish eat exclusively NLS pellets and would love to have a puffer that will do the same. Anyone have any ideas for me?
xrayjeeper83
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka named Bloat
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon
Location (country): USA

Re: What Puffer Will Eat NLS Pellets?

Post by xrayjeeper83 »

you could train it eat pellets, but its puffers need something hard to eat to help keep their teeth down
RTR wrote:Fahakas do not have tank mates, they may have swimming food reserves.
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

or grind up the pellets and use it as snail food ;)
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
SkullV

Post by SkullV »

xrayjeeper83 wrote:you could train it eat pellets, but its puffers need something hard to eat to help keep their teeth down
My S&S puffer took care of his teeth on my liverock, I was kind of hoping the new one would do the same!
FADE2BLACK_1973
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka (Tetraodon lineatus)

Once owned:
Congo (Tetraodon miurus) R.I.P
GSP's
Figure 8's
SAP
DP's
Stars and Stripes
Porcupine puffers
Yellow long horn Cowfish
Striped Burrfish
Location (country): United States of America

Post by FADE2BLACK_1973 »

SkullV wrote:
xrayjeeper83 wrote:you could train it eat pellets, but its puffers need something hard to eat to help keep their teeth down
My S&S puffer took care of his teeth on my liverock, I was kind of hoping the new one would do the same!

Yep my stars and stripes puffer chewed on the live rocks in my tank back when I still owned saltwater tanks. I had was sure glad of that natural teeth files..lol. Too bad all puffer don't do that too. And for training puffer to eat pellet food, I had GSP's eat the heck out of shrimp pellets. NLS is the best pellet food on the market, imo. Has everything a fish needs. And Thera+A is a great one with it's high amount of garlic added with doing it yourself. Awesome food for puffers because of that high inturnal parasites count most get or have.
Chris,

He who knows best knows how little he knows - Thomas Jefferson
JoseDepacos
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Valentini- Ripley
Location (country): USA

Post by JoseDepacos »

Puffers need a large variety of different foods in their diets including some hard shelled items to keep teeth wore down. Pellets would be on the very bottom of that list if at all. Would this puffer be going in the reef tank? I can only guess the tank the triggers are in is way too small for just the triggers, let alone add a puffer of any kind. My suggestion is that if you dont intend to offer anything other than pellets, I wouldnt add any puffers or any other fish without being able to offer a varied diet.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yeah, I was going to ask you about your set up. Is it FO or reef?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
FADE2BLACK_1973
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka (Tetraodon lineatus)

Once owned:
Congo (Tetraodon miurus) R.I.P
GSP's
Figure 8's
SAP
DP's
Stars and Stripes
Porcupine puffers
Yellow long horn Cowfish
Striped Burrfish
Location (country): United States of America

Post by FADE2BLACK_1973 »

JoseDepacos wrote:Puffers need a large variety of different foods in their diets including some hard shelled items to keep teeth wore down. Pellets would be on the very bottom of that list if at all. Would this puffer be going in the reef tank? I can only guess the tank the triggers are in is way too small for just the triggers, let alone add a puffer of any kind. My suggestion is that if you dont intend to offer anything other than pellets, I wouldnt add any puffers or any other fish without being able to offer a varied diet.

I should had added a varied diet also plus the pellets added, my bad. I always tell most people they I feed all my fishes a varied diet right along with pellets and don't know why I just said pellets. Got side tracked here at home with a bunch of kids running around while I was replying earlier...lol.
Chris,

He who knows best knows how little he knows - Thomas Jefferson