Is the normal dog faced puffer behaviour?

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
Puffer Girl
Puffer Fry
Location (country): East Sussex

Is the normal dog faced puffer behaviour?

Post by Puffer Girl »

:grouphug: Hello everyone!
This is my 1st topic so go easy on me if I'm not up to speed with the lingo...
I have a dog faced puffer and wanted some advise on behaviour he/she is feeding well and settled with my chromis perfectly. What I am unsure on is these little summersaults he keeps doing when I'm giving him attention ( is he showing his talent or trying to tell me something) he also follows me at the glass showing his teeth very occasionally but mostly like he wants petting rubbing his nose against the glass. Is the normal? I don't know if this is his character or something to be concerned about?
Kind regards emma
SammyDee
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 55g (2) GSP, (2) Maroon Clownfish, (1) blue damsel, And some soft corals and 1 Nem
45g FW community
20g snail and shrimp breeding tank for puffers
Location (country): USA USA USA USA

Re: Is the normal dog faced puffer behaviour?

Post by SammyDee »

Hello,
I dont have XP with dogface puffers but I keep Green Spotted Puffers in saltwater and they do occasionally rub there teeth or lips across the glass. Sometimes it normal but sometimes it can be a sign of bad water quality. Im not sure about the summer salts hes doing. Is he swimming downward when he does it? is he spining over or doing back flips. It really help us to get a picture of ur tank ifyou can tell us the current water parameters. If the tanks WP are all good then maybe its just an issue of the decor....is there lots of live rock for him to explore etc. swim thrus and stuff for him to play in? A cave maybe. But yea it ll be helpful for anyone who reads this post what ur WP are and size of tank, how long its been running etc. The more details the better picture when can get from it. Thx for joining the puffer forum

Edit: i wanted to also ask do his teeth look over grown? maybe a trimming is needed....
"DREAM AS IF YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE AS IF YOU'L DIE TODAY' -JAMES DEAN
Puffer Girl
Puffer Fry

Post by Puffer Girl »

Hello,
Thank you for your reply....
Tank has been running for 10 weeks and cycled
Water parameters are fine
Ph 8.0-8.5
Nitrite nil
Ammonia nil
Nitrate 12.5mg/ml peaks but generally around this
I have a jewel 350 tank, with an ehiem external pump that is for 1200 litre tank, so bigger than required. Protien skimmer as well which is double the capacity of the tank.
I have 72kg of live rock with lots of hiding holes and caves
Puffer Girl
Puffer Fry

Post by Puffer Girl »

He is only 2 inches long in the body and his teeth don't look over grown his mouth closes fine and doesn't look stretched when closed. no teeth over hanging out either
Puffer Girl
Puffer Fry

Post by Puffer Girl »

With the summersaults it's like hes backing up then flips over! It's neat but is it normal?
SammyDee
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 55g (2) GSP, (2) Maroon Clownfish, (1) blue damsel, And some soft corals and 1 Nem
45g FW community
20g snail and shrimp breeding tank for puffers
Location (country): USA USA USA USA

Post by SammyDee »

WP seem fine. Although im not sure the tanks a big enough tank for his whole life( it maybe i have no clue about liters to gallons, im in the states lol). I think they require 120gals or more. I have no clue about the summer salts thou. What kind of test are u using bc the PH should be more accurate reading than 8-8.5. In marine the PH should be 7.8-8.3 at the very highest( and not fluctuating whereever it eventually sits). I wish I could help more but Im sure some of the more XP keepers will be more helpful. Any chance u could upload a vid or pic of him doing this?? As long as he seems happy, healthy and he eating well, maybe u just got a lovely back fliping puffer. I love to see him doing this...
"DREAM AS IF YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE AS IF YOU'L DIE TODAY' -JAMES DEAN
Puffer Girl
Puffer Fry

Post by Puffer Girl »

Hi, we will up grading it is are first tank so didn't want to go too mad setting are selves up to fail....
I will try and up load a video or something
My ph is normally 8.0 but I'm still doing lots of testing maybe being over cautious as this is are first tank!
Thank you for you help
purplecandle
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Currently
2 Adult Green Spotted Puffers
1 Fangs Puffer
1 Baby Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): USA (NC)

Post by purplecandle »

I think the jewel 350 is 350 liters..equaling 92 gallons, and I believe it is a corner tank..

He will need a bigger tank with a better foot print, but in a 92 you should be ok for a while as long as it is not over stocked..

Maybe the flips have something to do with the shape of the aquarium?
jdak
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Stars & stripes
Location (country): USA

Post by jdak »

Rubbing the face on the glass is normal especially if they see something going on in the room. Try to spy on him and see how he acts when nobody is around. Now the flips just seem like a talent. I thought about the flips being because of a corner tank but i looked up the dimensions and it is still 4' long and the fish is only 2". I am a huge fan of the bow front tanks. Ill have to look into a corner tank.
Check out my puffer, video, and tanks @ jdak.net.
46g reef
150g FO
Puffer Girl
Puffer Fry

Post by Puffer Girl »

Hello,
Thank you all for your help.....I really appreciate it!
My tank is the corner one lovely tank just not designed for marine setup, I have been looking at a fluval tank for my next one! Does anyone have any experience with them? Good quality etc...?
Yes I think I have a placid funny character puffer who likes to do flipping tricks and have decided on the name "Marley" as it suits his personality.....
purplecandle
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Currently
2 Adult Green Spotted Puffers
1 Fangs Puffer
1 Baby Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): USA (NC)

Post by purplecandle »

"Marley"...too cute :)