Crunchy foods for younger puffers?

Discuss & learn about Mbu, Fahaka, Mappa & other giant puffers.
wishuponafish
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Crunchy foods for younger puffers?

Post by wishuponafish »

Hi, I have a young fahaka about 4" long and I'm getting a little worried about feeding him crunchy foods.
I am running low on ramshorn snails and my self-cloning crays have a ways to go before they start breeding.

Currently I am feeding him mainly frozen clam meat (which he can chew through like it's made of jello), supplemented with pellets which he loves and frozen shrimp which he doesn't like as much.
Is this enough to keep his teeth in check for now?
I did find cooked apple snails and cockles at the asian food stores, but I'll probably need to smash them with a hammer or something. Are cooked foods okay?

Thanks!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Crunchy foods for younger puffers?

Post by Pufferpunk »

I think what you're feeding him is fine but try not feeding him Frozen Foods as it is not good for his digestion. If you look at the top left corner of our main page there's a drop-down menu. Click on library. Then feeding. There is an article on an assortment of food to feed your Puffer.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
wishuponafish
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Post by wishuponafish »

Thanks for the reply!
My puffer's current diet doesn't have anything crunchy apart from the frozen foods being frozen (which I'll stop doing).
I want to introduce shellfish, but all I can find is cooked stuff (I'll make sure there aren't any added ingredients)- Will that be okay for the puffer?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Fish are not equipped to digest cooked food. I think today and you not find any in the produce department of your grocery store?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"