Is 180 gallons enough for a fahaka?

Discuss & learn about Mbu, Fahaka, Mappa & other giant puffers.
kass
Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): Canada

Is 180 gallons enough for a fahaka?

Post by kass »

I recently lost a fahaka I have had for 7 months. He was under an inch when I bought him and did not grow longer than 2 inches before he passed. He had IPs I could not get rid of. He was in a 180 gallon (6x2x2) since I got him. Most of his life with me he was quite active and seemed content. Seeing this little guy in the large tank made me wonder if he would be comfortable once fully grown (18 inches +/-) . I would like to get another fahaka and was wondering if those of you who have a full grown fahaka in a 180 gallon feel it is large enough? I know 120 gallon is recommended as a minimum but was wondering how you all feel about an 18 inch fish in such (relatively) limited space?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Is 180 gallons enough for a fahaka?

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yes! My fahaka lived in a 125g for 17 years & Never grew larger than 12". When I moved, I upgraded him to a 180g & he looks so much happier! I think even at his age, he grew a little...
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
nzac
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Minnesota, USA

Re: Is 180 gallons enough for a fahaka?

Post by nzac »

I sometimes wonder if 180 is enough but my 14.5" fahaka seems happy in there. I couldn't imagine going any smaller for his tank.