who's the the biggest mbu? and how old?

Discuss & learn about Mbu, Fahaka, Mappa & other giant puffers.
Arny
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): uk

Re: who's the the biggest mbu? and how old?

Post by Arny »

RTR wrote:T. mbu is a large, active fish. It needs current and room. These fish, like any fish, need room, current and clean water to reach maximum size and lifespan. IMO, an over two-foot fish in a tank 8x3 or 8x4 would not look like it had room to "move" and grow. That tank would be 3.6 times the fish length, and 8" or 18" spare for a turn. Guess what? That is not, repeat not room to swim enough to have normal body configuration or any, repeat any, real exercise. NIMFT, not for any fish from a guppy to a T. mbu (the largest body mass fish I have kept). I would not keep even an overbred fancy Betta in a proportionally sized container. Nor would I ever suggest that anyone else do so. I do commonly use tanks or multitank sysytems which provide far more than minimum recommendations. Certainly you can house fish in smaller sizes than those suggested here. But I would never agree that those cpme anywhere near optimum accomodations. My aim is to keep my fish as well as I can for as long as I can. Your aims may be different. So far as I know, there is nothing anywhere on this site that that neither my word nor any other poster's word is law. It is a forum. Anyone can present their own ideas. If I disagree with your handling, you are under no obligation to change your techniques. If and when you can keep your fish longer and healthier than I can, I will be more than willing to try your technics. But if you say that smaller tanks are better for large fish than larger tanks, you are going to have a lot of convincing to do.
I agree with what you're saying RTR, but you could say the same for a fahaka. A 120us gallon tank only has 24 inches for a fahaka to turn round in leaving 6 inches for a fully grown 18 inch fahaka to turn.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

You can't just go by the length of a puffer. The mass of a mbu is much more/inch than a fahaka.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Biff Malawi
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Biff Malawi »

I watch my 7" Fahaka swim around in it's 180g 6x2x2 tank and I think she looks great, lots of room to swim around and explore in the plants and caves.
I look ahead to her getting near her 18" maximum size and even though my tank is 60 gallons and 2 feet bigger than "minimum size" I die a little bit inside. I am getting her an 8x3x3 which I believe is the true minimum size for a messy fish of this size to live in for the next 20 years. You suggest that a Mbu at twice the size could live happily in the same tank? I don't see it. Would you keep a Jack Russel terrier in an 8x3x3 foot cage for 12 years. I believe that would be considered abuse.

Ok I'm done. :poke:
Stand Tall, Be Brave, Wait For The Signs
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

Biff Malawi wrote:I watch my 7" Fahaka swim around in it's 180g 6x2x2 tank and I think she looks great, lots of room to swim around and explore in the plants and caves.
I look ahead to her getting near her 18" maximum size and even though my tank is 60 gallons and 2 feet bigger than "minimum size" I die a little bit inside. I am getting her an 8x3x3 which I believe is the true minimum size for a messy fish of this size to live in for the next 20 years. You suggest that a Mbu at twice the size could live happily in the same tank? I don't see it. Would you keep a Jack Russel terrier in an 8x3x3 foot cage for 12 years. I believe that would be considered abuse.

Keeping a Jack Russell Terrier in a fish tank would also be cruel :D
Biff Malawi
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Biff Malawi »

I don't know maybe a 1000g tank would do.
Stand Tall, Be Brave, Wait For The Signs
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Iliveinazoo wrote:
Biff Malawi wrote:I watch my 7" Fahaka swim around in it's 180g 6x2x2 tank and I think she looks great, lots of room to swim around and explore in the plants and caves.

Keeping a Jack Russell Terrier in a fish tank would also be cruel :D
Forgive me as I laughed a bit to much at this. :P
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
Bret
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United Kingdom

Post by Bret »

OK, at the risk of getting completely flamed.....
I have been keeping freshwater and saltwater fish for 20+ years. I currently have a 22" MBU living in a 7X3X2. He lives with 7 Severums, an 18" Mono Bass, 2 large flag tails, a giant gourami and a big clown knife. He is very active and very happy! He eats prawns from my hand as well as muscles and cockles in the shell. I have had him for about 18 months, got him when he was about 4". He is a very happy chappy, he wags his tail overtime he sees me and is very healthy! I do 50% water change every week and have 2 FX6 filters on the tank. ...so they can be kept in less than a 1000 gallon tank, they can be kept with other tank mates (although the Bass, Gourami, and the bigger Flagtial are moving out after christmas to provide more room in the tank) I absolutely love my MBU! Best fish I have ever had. :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
luigimbu
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Luigi the 18in mbu
Desmond the Gsp 4in (rehomed)
4 large Frontosas
Climbing pearch
Clown knife fish 20inch
And a nice new reef tank setup
Location (country): England dorset shaftesbury

Post by luigimbu »

Bret wrote:OK, at the risk of getting completely flamed.....
I have been keeping freshwater and saltwater fish for 20+ years. I currently have a 22" MBU living in a 7X3X2. He lives with 7 Severums, an 18" Mono Bass, 2 large flag tails, a giant gourami and a big clown knife. He is very active and very happy! He eats prawns from my hand as well as muscles and cockles in the shell. I have had him for about 18 months, got him when he was about 4". He is a very happy chappy, he wags his tail overtime he sees me and is very healthy! I do 50% water change every week and have 2 FX6 filters on the tank. ...so they can be kept in less than a 1000 gallon tank, they can be kept with other tank mates (although the Bass, Gourami, and the bigger Flagtial are moving out after christmas to provide more room in the tank) I absolutely love my MBU! Best fish I have ever had. :-)
Old post I know but he looks great. Mine is now around 18 inchs
discus70
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Post by discus70 »

She not the biggest but she is the prettiest...Josie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny2k9w61X2s