MBU temp tank Size question + Growth Rate

Discuss & learn about Mbu, Fahaka, Mappa & other giant puffers.
Tripp
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): USA

MBU temp tank Size question + Growth Rate

Post by Tripp »

Before anyone starts Trolling or Flaming me for this post : Yes I have read the sticky at the top - viewtopic.php?f=56&t=150
The 1000 gallons seems a bit over kill but I get where its going. Full grown 26" MBU 600-800 gallons I get.

I have a 210 Gallon tank with an FX 5 filter running on it
Filtration is adequate with maintenance I keep on the tank now.
I have an ROI device for the entire house so water is never an issue.
Pool Filter sand bed and plenty of lighting
My Fahaka has not been the same fish that he once was due to his illness.

If I purchase a MBU puffer under 6" how long would my 210g last? Dimensions are 72"X24"X30"

Could I get 2 years our of it?

I have been reading once an MBU gets to roughly 9"-12" they plateau in growth rate and slow down immensely.
This is what made me think I could get 2 years out of the current tank.

In my next house which will be in the next couple years I will be putting in a 400-600 gallon long tank.
*This purchase will only happen if Dexter passes. Not giving up on him yet.
Again I am just doing my research would like to get everyone's opinion.
redsox19
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

Re: MBU temp tank Size question + Growth Rate

Post by redsox19 »

IMO he will be fine unti he starts getting cramped which will first be in turning radius... So it should be fine for a while as long as there is adequate filtration and upkeep...
redsox19
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

Post by redsox19 »

I see it as the same as a fahaka being put into a 24 inch deep aquarium... gives them 6+ inches of grace while turning... using those same principles he should be fine till that point
scpion
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 23in Mbu, donated to SEA Aquarium
4in Fahaka 150g
Location (country): singapore

Post by scpion »

It took me mine just 2yrs to reach 22in from 5in. Go for a bigger tank if u can. I am sure I currently need a much larger but I couldn't afford one nor have the space. Which I feel extremely bad about.. :(

When It gets larger, it needs more space to roam/explore around. If u just think about turning radius, that is so wrong...
I am not a Troll, I am just pissed..!
Arny
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): uk

Post by Arny »

scpion wrote:It took me mine just 2yrs to reach 22in from 5in. Go for a bigger tank if u can. I am sure I currently need a much larger but I couldn't afford one nor have the space. Which I feel extremely bad about.. :(

When It gets larger, it needs more space to roam/explore around. If u just think about turning radius, that is so wrong...
How big is your tank scpion?
scpion
Fahaka Puffer
4in Fahaka 150g

Post by scpion »

Arny wrote:
scpion wrote:It took me mine just 2yrs to reach 22in from 5in. Go for a bigger tank if u can. I am sure I currently need a much larger but I couldn't afford one nor have the space. Which I feel extremely bad about.. :(

How big is your tank scpion?
Not anywhere big enough... :(

I never knew what it was till I brought it home..
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

This is going to be an unpopular response, but it is my honest opinion. and my "best practice" belief, based on a lifetime of fish-keeping experience.

If you cannot do a sufficiently large tank - to me that would be over 1000 US gallons, do not buy a T.mbu puffer, period. Also if you cannot afford to automate that tank, do not buy a T. mbu.

I do not approve of moving a fish up in tank size other than from the QT tank to their permanent home, period. That to me applies to all fish, regardless of their size. I made that personal decision years ago, and it makes no sense to me to pretend that I did not and do not believe it is either practical or efficient or effective to do otherwise. Most valid hobby fish will grow to sexual maturity within 3-4 years, most do much earlier. They will slow down in growth rate after that, but even if they mature early they can and should still reach or exceed their max wild size. If they do not, they are stunted and that means that they have not been properly housed or maintained. I cannot honestly suggest that hobbyists can follow practices which are not the best for the animal.

But that is not my only quirk. I do not believe in community tanks either. I do not ever suggest doing those either.

FWIW.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
scpion
Fahaka Puffer
4in Fahaka 150g

Post by scpion »

Agree.

Imo, even with a footprint of 8x4 is only barely enough to "house" it. But never complex enough to make it happy to live a long life.

If, I have these information before I brought it home, I would never have done it.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Thank you!. I do solidly agree. I have done otherwise in the past, but will not knowingly do so again.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Biff Malawi
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Biff Malawi »

I know that many people feel that 1000 gallons is over kill for a mbu. I currently have a 4" fahaka in a 180g and I love to watch her swim around in and out of the plants. My point is that I am already feeling bad about imagining her full size in a 6x2. These minimum tank sizes are exactly that minimum. Not Ideal by any stretch of the imagination. I have already contacted a guy who is going to make me a 10X2X2. I think I won't feel to bad about that.
Stand Tall, Be Brave, Wait For The Signs
oldfish
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: Ziggy the mbu puffer and a little mbu named Boo

Post by oldfish »

I think the 1000 gallon tank size for Mbu is overkill. For a "trout like"fish it would be needed but Mbu's swim like helicopters and do not need the space other fish do.What you need is filtration enough for the 1000 gallon.