powerhead for my 180g fahaka tank.

Discuss & learn about Mbu, Fahaka, Mappa & other giant puffers.
Biff Malawi
Dwarf Puffer

powerhead for my 180g fahaka tank.

Post by Biff Malawi »

Hey I have been reading through the forum and I can't find a recommendation for the output of a power head to provide current along the front wall. I never use power heads so I want to make sure I get a good strong one but I don't want to find Bella pinned in the corner some morning. Any suggestions???
Stand Tall, Be Brave, Wait For The Signs
Terrance
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Retired Puffer Addict
Location (country): USA

Re: powerhead for my 180g fahaka tank.

Post by Terrance »

How much are you willing to spend? I have used Koralia and Jebao powerheads with much success since they are some of the more affordable options. I can't imagine a Fahaka getting stuck in a powerhead with a cage. On the other hand, my Aquaclear powerhead only have one inlet. Anything similar to the Aquaclear powerhead can trap a fish and possibly killing or injuring the fish.
Kind regards,
Terrance
kass
Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): Canada

Post by kass »

I realize this is an old thread but I have the same question...
What size power head, in terms of GPH, would be appropriate for a 180 gallon aquarium with a fahaka?

The tank will have around 1400GPH returning from the sump, through two lines.
nzac
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Minnesota, USA

Post by nzac »

I run a koralia mag8 on mine across the front with the fx5 output across the back in my 180 Fahaka tank.
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Post by Welch4 »

I am in love with my vortech. It's massivley over rated for my tank but I do still have a koralia in the there. My gsp loves playing around the koralia and I don't want to take that away from him.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
kass
Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): Canada

Post by kass »

Welch4 wrote:I am in love with my vortech. It's massivley over rated for my tank but I do still have a koralia in the there. My gsp loves playing around the koralia and I don't want to take that away from him.
The vortechs look sweet. I like the backup battery option you can get for them, but they are quite pricey.
nzac wrote:I run a koralia mag8 on mine across the front with the fx5 output across the back in my 180 Fahaka tank.
The mag8 pushes over 3000GPH. I know they are river dwelling fish but that seems like a lot of flow... you fahaka enjoys it?
nzac
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by nzac »

He hasn't complained, really 3250 gph isn't much when the fish is 12"+. And he hasn't chomped on this one like he did his last 2 smaller ones. I used to run 2 of them in my 220 piranha tank when I had that running.
Avoscotto
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Gold Coast, Australia

Post by Avoscotto »

Is that much flow ok for a juvenile Fahaka?

I was thinking the same thing Kass, let me know what you do! Fact pm pics of your set up would love to see.

Anyways on topic! I get for a 12" that much flow is fine but what about a 2" ? Do I need to start smaller and then move up in size as it grows or can I get its forever powerhead when it's still tiny lol
nzac
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by nzac »

I ran a couple koralia 1400 in his 180 most of his smaller life. My thoughts are as long at there are places for him to get out of the current to rest when needed or sleeping it should be fine.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

I would shoot for around 3000 gph also, good flow = good exercise. Ran a koralia 3200 with mine for a while and boy did he swim into the flow
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Avoscotto
Puffer Fry

Post by Avoscotto »

thanks for the info guys :)

Since I'm running about 2000gph through the sump a powerhead setup getting another 1000-1500gph would be optimal? Obviously it wouldn't be a bare tank there will be caves and other current breaks. Just seems like a fair amount of flow for an initially small fish, but I guess in comparison to the river they came out of it's not that much at all.

Do you guys turn off or reduce the flow during feeding time? I was also wondering about putting the powerheads onto a timer to give a bit more of a sporadic current which sounds less natural now that I think of it lol
nzac
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by nzac »

I always just leave mine on 24/7 except they turn off for waterchanges.
Avoscotto
Puffer Fry

Post by Avoscotto »

Good to know, I'll probably do the same then

Just trying to get as much info before I get the fish. Saves from having to do the research in a state of panic later lol

does everybody run it in a river style, as in the flow always travels in one direction or are people running a power head on either side of tank? Since it's a nile puffer I figured it would match the river which only flows one direction but seems more likely to cause dead spots at the far end of the tank
nzac
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by nzac »

I always run my powerheads at the top(as close to the top as I can without them creating an eddy and sucking air) on one end pointing across the tank, the flow hits the other end then goes down and returns across the bottom.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Avoscotto wrote:Good to know, I'll probably do the same then

Just trying to get as much info before I get the fish. Saves from having to do the research in a state of panic later lol

does everybody run it in a river style, as in the flow always travels in one direction or are people running a power head on either side of tank? Since it's a nile puffer I figured it would match the river which only flows one direction but seems more likely to cause dead spots at the far end of the tank
I ran flow from one side to the other accelerated by a powerhead. If you run multiple filters you can tailor flow. Remember the filters suck at one end reducing dead spots some more. Run a high poewered powerhead along the front glass so he exercises where you can see him best.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly