Would you buy a chiller for this issue?

Discuss & learn about Mbu, Fahaka, Mappa & other giant puffers.
boosted23
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): phoenix, arizona

Would you buy a chiller for this issue?

Post by boosted23 »

Hey all, I live in satan's butthole called good ol' arizona. I do my weekly water changes on my puffer tank. 150 gallon. The issue is now at this time of year when i go to fill up the tank, my coldest faucet water is 90 degrees!!!! The tank stays around 78-80 degrees but when i refill it hits 87 degrees with the water change. I change the water towards the night and i put in an air stone and turn a fan on the tank. By morning it is back to 78-80.

I am just wondering if this would warrant a chiller for refilling. They are pretty pricy and i want to make sure the benefit weighs in the cost for the only time it will be used is when i am refilling. My puffer seems unaffected by the temp change as the redtail shark also but i don't know if i am causing and health issues doing it this way. What are y'alls opinions on this matter?
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: Would you buy a chiller for this issue?

Post by bertie 83 »

Could you add ice cubes to the water before adding? Or ice packs to bring it down a little, that is a serious temp swing for a fish to take.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
puffykid
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Madison, WI

Post by puffykid »

If you got one of those large brute trash that others use to mix salt water in you could fill it a day before the wc throw in ice cubes or have a fan blowing across the top to cool it off.
1 M. Turgidus - 29 gallon
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

+1 to puffykid's comment above. I find it a lot easier to store the water a day or two with a circulation pump which can be used to transfer the aged/tempered and treated water to the display tank. It uses a lot less power than a chiller and is far lower cost. In fact, this is what I do with and for all of my water for partials, and have for decades. I don't like using un-aged water. I want all pretreatments and tempering done in the water-safe containers instead of in the display tanks. It is safer and gentler for the fish.
Where's the fish? - Neptune