Extremely small Fahaka, need help!

Discuss & learn about Mbu, Fahaka, Mappa & other giant puffers.
Andrea85
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Sweden

Re: Extremely small Fahaka, need help!

Post by Andrea85 »

Here is an update on the little fella, he is thriving and getting on really well!

He has grown a little bit more, and really shows color now, the beautiful red stripes on the belly =) In his tank there are some small fish (danios and platties) that I couldent get out, they were there when he moved to the tank. Since his eyes are damaged he seemed to not see the smaller fish, and they happily lived beside him. But a couple of weeks ago I put in some corydoras with him, they had to be moved from one of my other tanks and I thought why not, he cant see them so he wont hurt them. Really stupid of me, after an hour one of the was floating around without a head, and the following days he chomped down almost all the smaller fish, he just bites them in two and vitrually sucks the pieces in, it takes like 2 seconds.

I was wondering, is it okay for him to eat small fish? I wont give him any new ones, but there is still some platties left in his tank and they will be eaten sooner or later.

I will also move him to a 375 liter aquarium (150 cm long, 50 cm wide and tall), perhaps he will reach the 20 cm mark someday and then he will need the space =)
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Good to hear he is doing well. Good job. Fish would likely be taken when on offer in the wild, not something I would suggest or condone. Can you not rehome the last living fish?
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Andrea85
Puffer Fry

Post by Andrea85 »

I will try to catch the platties that are in his tank, but the tank is heavily planted and they are so fast =( Perhaps when they are grown I can take them, they are only halfgrown now. It was stupid of me to even think he would leave them be, Fahakas do have a bloodthirsty reputation =)
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Nom, nom, nom--platy dinner!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
jdcolg01
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Post by jdcolg01 »

Although I wouldn't recommend it, from my experience with various freshwater pufferfish species, that:
1. A pufferfish will continue to grow in a small tank, if a large normal healthy diet is provided, and the water parameters are kept perfect.
2. I don't think pufferfish excrete any metabolites to prevent the growth of themselves or other puffers of the same species (not sure on this though, I don't have a source). Koi and many other fish do this.
3. It is really hard keeping water parameters perfect in a small tank, with such messy eaters. I kept my fahaka in a 29 gallon biocube for 4 months and it grew from 2 inches to just under 6 inches.

(The only reason I did this is because I was getting ready to move, and I already had a 75 gallon and a 150 gallon in storage. The condo I was living in didn't allow tanks over 75 gallons, and fahaka puffers are hard to come by in my area. When one came up for sale, I knew I had the proper tanks for him, and I could care for him in a small tank until I moved. I also figured he had a better chance with me, than most hobbyist that come into that petshop. He's currently in the 75, and once I complete my 3D background on the 150 he'll be in there).
Andrea85
Puffer Fry

Post by Andrea85 »

Today the little fella got a shrimp with shell, probably for the first time in his life! He thought it was fantastic, the whole thing was over instantly and his belly became considerably rounder ;-)

I have eastmatied that he has grown about 5 cm since he came, and he will get a bigger tank soon.

I would like to say thanks to all the good edvice that I have got in this forum, I have learned a lot. Thanks!
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

I have very serious reservations about jdcolg01's post. On the first point, yes, a well-kept tank will allow a fish to continue to grow in an inadequate tank, but even w/daily 50%partials the fish's configuration will suffer. from lack of exercise.

On the second point, we have zero info on pheromone production in puffers. Growth suppressing hormones are extremely common in most but not all fish families. If I had to bet, the vote would be that yes they are more likely to suppress conspecific's growth than not.

Unless you have a flow-through system with >>200% water changes per 24 hours, you would not even approach "perfect" overlays of water parameters. Hobby liquid test kits are easy and useful, but their discrimination is quite weak and spotty, with massive gaps. Hormones/pheromones are totally invisible, as are proteins in general. Be very cautious about generalizing from such data. What you cannot detect can hurt your fish.

FWITW, YMMV.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Andrea85
Puffer Fry

Post by Andrea85 »

He will be moved in a week or two to a tank that is close to 120 gallons. In that tank I will use two fx6 external filters and change 40-50% water two times a week. I do that already in the slightly smaller tank that he is in right now, and that keeps him and the tank healthy and happy. I would never dream of putting him in a smaller tank, he is the perfect example of what a to small of a tank do to a fish.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

It is great to see such a committed owner, you are doing great! Now you need to keep pics flooding in lol. We want to see the adorable little fellas progress.
Andrea85
Puffer Fry

Post by Andrea85 »

Here he is, moved to his new tank yesterday, and today he has been exploring the tank all day, combined with tailwagging dancing in front of me, begging for food =)

He has grown about 6-7 cm since I got him, and is perhaps a little fat right now, but he is very active and moves around all day.

http://forumbilder.se/CEA0H/486854-1015 ... 65450798-n

And here is the upgraded tank, two huge Mangroveroots, loads of plants and fine sand. Kurt (he is named finally) lies in the foreground, do you see him? :-) The water looks dirty, but its oxygen produced from the oxydator that swirls around in the tank.

http://forumbilder.se/CEA0H/969264-1015 ... 41414033-n
bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

Great news, good job. Glad he is doing well
PufferDek
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

Post by PufferDek »

Andrea85 wrote:Here he is, moved to his new tank yesterday, and today he has been exploring the tank all day, combined with tailwagging dancing in front of me, begging for food =)

He has grown about 6-7 cm since I got him, and is perhaps a little fat right now, but he is very active and moves around all day.

http://forumbilder.se/CEA0H/486854-1015 ... 65450798-n

And here is the upgraded tank, two huge Mangroveroots, loads of plants and fine sand. Kurt (he is named finally) lies in the foreground, do you see him? :-) The water looks dirty, but its oxygen produced from the oxydator that swirls around in the tank.

http://forumbilder.se/CEA0H/969264-1015 ... 41414033-n
Looks like a great home for he guy.
Andrea85
Puffer Fry

Post by Andrea85 »

Now he has been with me for 6 months, and it has been a real treat getting to know this fantastic little guy! He is now just over 20 cm long, och doing great, just this day he took his first bite of me, my thumd is looking a bit strange 8) Amazing fish, huge personality and I hope we get many years together!

I found a picture from his second day with my, little tiny fella!

http://forumbilder.se/CETQT/imag0411

And a picture taken just a couple of minutes ago, what do you Think? =-)

http://forumbilder.se/CETQT/imag0740

Best regards /Andrea
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Wow, what a BEAST!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

Total transformation, you should be proud of yourself! Good work with the little fella, I bet he will get to a good size