ANYONE HAND FEED THEIR FAHAKA???

Discuss & learn about Mbu, Fahaka, Mappa & other giant puffers.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: ANYONE HAND FEED THEIR FAHAKA???

Post by bertie 83 »

Yes my fahaka is totally crazy. However all puffers even the 6" ones but especially the bigguns have the ability to chomp skin and bone. They eat snails, crabs mussels etc like they are soft sweeties lol
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Master of Puffers
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: target puffer

fahaka

6 dwarf puffers
Location (country): La Belle Province

Post by Master of Puffers »

bertie 83 wrote:Has anyone actually been bitten by a puffer? I have, if they want to they can cause serious damage. Trust me on that one
None of my big puffer had bitten me, though I had been nipped by a couple of the smaller ones and they hurt enough, TYVM.
A kiss on the hand may be quite continental
But puffers are a girl`s best friend.
Master of Puffers
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: target puffer

fahaka

6 dwarf puffers
Location (country): La Belle Province

Post by Master of Puffers »

bertie 83 wrote:I certainly would not allow friends to put their hands in with something as dangerous as a puffer. I used to hand feed until being bitten, now my hand does not enter the tank without something defending me. He has gone for me on several occasions whilst doing routine maintenance.
The wife of a frreind of my husband wanted to pull my mbu out of his tank to show their daughter how puffers inflate and couldn't work out why I wasn't happy with the idea......
A kiss on the hand may be quite continental
But puffers are a girl`s best friend.
Tim
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Sweden

Post by Tim »

Master of Puffers wrote:
bertie 83 wrote:I certainly would not allow friends to put their hands in with something as dangerous as a puffer. I used to hand feed until being bitten, now my hand does not enter the tank without something defending me. He has gone for me on several occasions whilst doing routine maintenance.
The wife of a frreind of my husband wanted to pull my mbu out of his tank to show their daughter how puffers inflate and couldn't work out why I wasn't happy with the idea......
:shock:
*A wild water plant appears, Pig the Green Spotted Puffer is intimidated*
river-7
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

Post by river-7 »

Bertie; I should have explained better- when i said hand feed-i meant with tweezers. I have a small pair and a long pair and that's what i use.About 5-years ago my dwarf bit me but that's no biggy. I just feel by using tweezers you can up close and personal so to speak-ie; to check them for all things.See how teeth are,fins, body ect; river
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

Lol. Sorry didn't twig that
river-7
Puffer Fry

Post by river-7 »

Bertie; Was it your fahaka that bit you?? I never give mine the chance to bite lol-when i see how fast they swoop in that tells me he is very capable of biting me, but he choose's not too. I would never let company have access to any of my puffers and the first thing i tell them is=stay away from my tanks.Some people are just too curious to suit me and too silly as well and their knowledge level is not good when it comes to puffs.river.
bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

Yes it was my fahaka which has got me. He never bothered with me before, he used to just spit water at me and splash lots but one day I think I might have been too close so he bit me. Since then he now knows he can get my hand out his tank quickly by trying to bite me so I am very careful. I don't blame him though as I would do the same lol
river-7
Puffer Fry

Post by river-7 »

Yes, Bertie; i really think they know what their doing. I went to see 'Survivor' yesterday and took him some lobster, and boy was he happy to see me. You would think he's knows it's me taking him[haven't got him home yet]. My tank that i'm putting him in went funny no nitrates so i am back to square one =resorted to buying tss.He actually ate while i was there[ from tweezers] He looks so bad so tiny compared to my guy. Mine is starting to show red stripes in him now just beauiful along with his yellow and white.He shocked me a couple of days ago-when i saw these colours come out. Most of them, in the LLS look all washed out.but hoping my tank will kick back in as i would like to get this little'Survivor' out of there. We had a power outage and that done it.Thank 'God' all my puffs were ok.Will update again-thanks Bertie; river
bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

The stripes will intensify with age too, I also added a red bulb into my lighting which also shows the red off better.
Fahaka Fakka
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1 x Fahaka

Also kept:
2 x South American Puffers (SAP)
Location (country): Norway

Post by Fahaka Fakka »

bertie 83 wrote:No chance I have been bitten before and would never risk bleeding in the tank again.
When did your Fahaka enter the dark side towards you?
bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

Lol. It was over a year ago, it's odd he attacks my hands but has absolutely no interest in other fish. It's crazy really
geronimo69
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka Puffer "tetraodon lineatus"

Post by geronimo69 »

I don't find there's ever a need to hand feed any of my fish. I also do not use the "tweezer" method... I let my filtration take care of messy bits of food my fish don't eat. Weekly 50% WC on all my tanks except the marine.

I'm also trying a small experiment with a Pothos plant. I have a bunch with the roots in my 150 gallon. I am keeping an extra close eye on the nitrates in this tank, seeing if the plants help.... sorry about the sidetrack comment lol.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish."
Mark Twain
"Fish recognize a bad leader."
Conan O'Brien
Fahaka Fakka
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1 x Fahaka

Also kept:
2 x South American Puffers (SAP)
Location (country): Norway

Post by Fahaka Fakka »

bertie 83 wrote:Lol. It was over a year ago, it's odd he attacks my hands but has absolutely no interest in other fish. It's crazy really
That´s an interesting note since my Fahaka´s behavior might change as well. I have only had him for a year by now, and he was about 2 inches back then (now he is a bit longer than 10 inches). Currently, his behavior is quite the opposite.

He would immediately start chasing other fish if introduced to the tank. Even fast swimming minnows would all get eaten.

But he seems to not care at all about my hands when cleaning the tank. He just browses the tank peacefully and lets me finish the job. I would have no problem touching him with my hands either even though I don´t do it...he would just sit there or allow me herding him to the other side of the tank if the maintenance work requires it.

However, just by looking at him finishing off the largest crayfish and the sturdiest self caught crabs in seconds make me fear the possibility of me too encountering the dark side eventually:) Then, I would probably get rid off all my decor and use a stout net or something.
bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

I have a large fish net which I position right in front of his face of I need to work on his side of the tank. He rarely bothers at the other side of the tank, he only ever goes there to bask in the morning sun. Always expect the worst from these guys then you will never get caught out by an angry puffer lol.