some advice needed, moving house with a fahaka

Discuss & learn about Mbu, Fahaka, Mappa & other giant puffers.
lesleyanndunn
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: one fahaka ~ *Abe*
one palembang ~ *Spud*

one fahaka ~ *Kruger* (RIP) :(
also kept: DP's, GSP'S, and BBG's
Location (country): Bangor, UK

some advice needed, moving house with a fahaka

Post by lesleyanndunn »

Im moving house sooner than I thought, and could be as soon as within the next two weeks.
Im actually doing a house swap with another girl.

Her house needs some work tho, and I wont be able to set up my 5ft tank that my 8'' fahaka is in for about a week until I carpet and decorate the living room first.

What I was planning to do, is transfer him into a 100litre cycled tank that I have set up waiting for a congo.

Would he be ok in there? I am going to put his plants in there and a HOB filter from his 5ft tank. I will be light feeding, and waterchanges, and checking parameters etc..

I need to completely empty his main tank as it will be so heavy to move. The sponges from his main big HOB filter, I was going to put in an empty fishtank I have with 2 gouramis and another filter to keep them cycled?

Then setup his main tank after a week when living room is done. Transfer plants, and sponges back into main tank, and put him back in after its been running a few days, and check the parameters a couple times.

This seem ok? anything else I can do to make the move less stressful for the fahaka, I dont want to put his health at risk :shock:
Clowntje
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): NL/ Living in Germany.

Re: some advice needed, moving house with a fahaka

Post by Clowntje »

How big is your Fahaka?
And how big is the 100 liter tank?

When its possible to put her in the 100 liter why don u put her own filter on it too so it keeps cycled (if it is because of current, u can always put a extra piece of tube on the outlet so its longer and wider so the current slows down.). Also put the plants in it and the sand of the main tank. evrything that doesnt fit (like too much sand) u can put in big buckets with water. You probably have some bacteria die off on that sand but when u put it back i would do it first and then the sand of her holding tank on top.

When u dismantel the tank put some water aside in buckets so u can keep the filters running until last minute. After arriving take another bucket with tank water and turn the filter on it to start it right away. Also this way u can do some emergency waterswaps on her moving bucket.

When we moved out Fahaka she was 20cm and we had some major set backs but this way the pumps dont die off. All her waterparams stayed perfect and she was back to eating the next day.