Compatibility.

Discuss & learn about Mbu, Fahaka, Mappa & other giant puffers.
Rappstar609
Puffer Fry

Compatibility.

Post by Rappstar609 »

From what I understand, nothing can really go with a Fahaka. However, I have been watching a lot of the youtube videos on them and notice numerous aquariums with Fahakas and community fish? I think if I would throw anything in with mine he would eat it or harass it to death. Some that caught my eye were an adult fahaka in with a couple bala sharks, then a med. size fahaka with a bunch of barbs and tetras? Do people just sacrifice those fish and replace them as necessary?

Thanks for any replies and btw my Fahaka is doing awesomely and I watch him more than i watch TV.

Thanks,
Dan
Nick
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Mine:
GSPs - Shakespeare and Jillybean
F8 - Velvet
My fiance:
DP - Emma Goldman
Narrow Lined Puffer - Ulrike
Location (country): Northeastern USA

Re: Compatibility.

Post by Nick »

I'm sure many times people just live with the fahaka taking out fish now and again, replacing small community fish as needed. A well fed fahaka isn't the fastest thing you'll see moving, so they might only be replacing a couple small fish a month. With bigger fish, it's more a tossup game - the fahaka might decide to maul one particular fish to death, while totally ignoring a different type or different individual of the same type.
No matter how magnificent your successes or devastating your failures, the worlds' approximately 5 billion impoverished people could not possibly care less.
stevenallenbarnard
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: T. Lineatus

Post by stevenallenbarnard »

I keep a bunch of convict cichlid fry in the tank with my fahaka. yeah, she chomps one in half every now and then, but they were given to me for free for that purpose. Nick sounds right, most owners prob just accept that they will lose some tank mates.
KorrepZ
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: .
1 Fahaka
1 Ceylon
1 Valentini
1 Dwarf
1 Mantis Shrimp
R.I.P. 2 F8's
Location (country): Holland

Post by KorrepZ »

it might help if you put them in with the fahaka at a very young age... Mine is just a few months old and plays very well with the gourami's i have in there.... but it will always be a question "For how long". One bad tempered day and they're toast hehe
Master Yoda the Fahaka and Manny the Mantis Shrimp! - R.I.P R2 & 3PO (F8), Luke (dwarf), Snips (Ceylon) and Obi 1-3 (Valentini)

crossriver2000
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: I currently own and maintain a cross river puffer (tetraodon pustulatus) in Houston, TX.

Post by crossriver2000 »

I currently own and care for a Cross River Puffer which I understand is similar to a Fahaka in size and temperament. My Cross River Puffer is kept in a 92 gallon corner aquarium with other African cichlid species and have noted from experience that Green Severums especially and most Peacocks are compatible as long as they are of similar size relative to the puffer fish. I do not recommend by any means to include short body Green Terrors, German Red Peacocks, and small to medium sized Albino Peacocks which proved to be incompatible. I have also noted that keeping the puffer well fed appeases its temperament and reduces aggressive behavior towards other species...please let me know of any further information relevant to Cross River Puffers.
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

I personally wouldn't do the community thing, because I try to avoid potential death for my pets. :lol: I also wouldn't do it because constantly replacing the fish would mean constantly quarantining new fish and because I wouldn't be able to leave the house without a sitter for fear that the fahaka would kill a larger tankmate and leave it to rot until I got back. Me no like crashes!
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
groovitudedude
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1X Dwarf Puffer, 1X Auriglobus Silus

Post by groovitudedude »

I think putting ANY fish with a fahaka puffer is extremely risky. Some people just get/got lucky and their fahaka won't tear other fish to shreds.
Fire Eel!
Tiny Fish Forum
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Sounds like a potential heavy bioload in that tank when those fish become adults.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Black Widow

Post by Black Widow »

bout 4" Oscars could you mix them with 8" Fahakas?
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Do you care at all about the oscars? If so, no.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
kxebs
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 1x Fahaka, 1x Dwarf Puffer

Post by kxebs »

I tried to put some cory's with my fahaka to keep the top layer of the sand clean... Before they swam in the tank my fahaka killed one right true the plastic bag... It depends per fahaka, but for the most of them: You will be eaten!
moua
Puffer Fry

Post by moua »

I bought some danios as tankmates for my fahaka. So far my fahaka has only nipped the fin of one of the fish, no serious injury. So far so good, my fahaka seems to have no interest in them now, although he will chase my finger around. Oh, and yeah, my fahaka is just a baby. I thought he was gonna murder them, but since he didn't, I might get some more danios, and maybe some tiger barbs.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

It took about 6 months for my fahaka to finally get all the tiger barbs. They grew pretty large, eating his leftovers.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"