Fahaka activity and warmer temperatures.

Discuss & learn about Mbu, Fahaka, Mappa & other giant puffers.
FishFancier
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Chilomycterus schoepfi - lined form, body creamy to bright yellow on bottom surfaces, with randomized dark brow bands, dark "bridal" with yellow highlights below the eyes continuing dark area to tips of largest spines looking like horns above the eyes, dark Gotee
Chilomycterus Orbicularis -
Location (country): USA

Fahaka activity and warmer temperatures.

Post by FishFancier »

We've heard from several sources that Fahaka puffers become very inactive and boring as they mature. This description fit our Fahaka, Loki, a nine inch fish of unknown age, very well. Loki spent almost all of his time buried in the sand or sitting on the bottom. When we fed him, he would often ignore the food completely when buried in the sand, or if sitting on the bottom he very slowly moved over to it and would then slowly chow it down. This was the rule until just recently when his personality changed completely.

About 3 weeks ago, we noticed that on fishbase the recommended temperature range for Fahaka puffers was 78-82. We turned the heater up on his heater from 76 to 81 and wow, what a change. He is now swimming about most of the time, never buries himself in the sand, and has become very attentive to any activity near his tank.

Does our experience fit with what other Fahaka keepers have found with this species?

Edited: typos
Last edited by FishFancier on Sun May 25, 2008 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This account, FishFancier, is Robert's
The FishFan account is Anne's. She created it, though it was formerly shared.
Though we now have separate accounts, we still share the fish.:)
manutius
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: RIP Clooney the Mbu :(

Re: Fahaka activity and warmer temperatures.

Post by manutius »

that is really interesting, thanks for sharing that with us. It will be interesting if anyone else has any similar feedback
yunachin
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x A. Meleagris (Golden)
2x Tetraodon nigroviridis
1x Tetraodon lineatus
1x A. hispidus
2x Takifugu Ocellatus
9x Tetraodon biocellatus
1x Canthigaster solandri
1x Diodon Holocanthus
2x A. nigropunctatus
1x Tetraodon miurus
1x Irrubesco
Location (country): USA

Post by yunachin »

I keep my tank relatively warm, 80 degrees, and he is very active unless he has eaten a large meal. Age wise he does not fit in with your puffer (he is maybe a year old) but I will see in the future. :D Good info though.
E.Ridgeway
Fella
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Fella »

Mine is always more active in the summer months, and it's almost definitely from the temperature. I have to up the number of feedings accordingly.
dark_knights_99
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Philippines

Post by dark_knights_99 »

I guess that turning up the heat can increase in the fishes' metabolism.
I AM A EXOTIC FISH ADDICT AND I'M PROUD!
100g tank 1:
3x Black Ghost Knife, 2x Senegal Bichir, 2x Albino Senegal Bichiry, 3x Climbing Perches, 4x Peacock Eels, 2x Ropefish
50g tank 2:
x15 Dwarf Puffers, x5 otocinclus, x6 bumblebee gobies, x3 stone catfish, 8 kuhli loaches
crystalk
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka Puffer

Post by crystalk »

I brought home a Fahaka that is about 2 1/2 inches long..was stoked to have even found one...his tank water at the LFS was super cold..maybe 74-75 degrees. They keep them cold to keep parasites off.
When i brought him home to his tank i had the heat at about 78 degrees. i had to let the water cool a bit before adding him, and then gradually increased it over about 12 hrs.
He was super lazy too. maybe trying to conserve the heat...slowed metabolism..Now..his tank is set at 79 degrees and hes an active happy fish.
If only i could get him to eat non-live food we would be in buisness.
Cant wait till he gets big.
He seems to prefer ghost shrimp to anything else.
for now..probably his size.
Crystal k