Getting ready for a Figure 8

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
razzledazzlebee
Puffer Fry

Getting ready for a Figure 8

Post by razzledazzlebee »

Hello Everyone,
I've been lurking on this board, and I have found similar threads but none that answer my exact question.
Background info: I had dwarf puffers as my first fish 7 years ago. I had 5 in a 10 gallon tank because I didn't know any better. They ended up being 2 males, 3 females. The smaller male died,and the rest turned on the smaller female. I donated them to the LFS. I had a blue acara for a couple of years, but have been fish-free for the last 2 years.I have missed hvaing puffies, so I am preparing to get a Figure 8.
I have been cycling a 12 gallon tank with 6 white clouds since Thursday. I put Bio-Spira in on Friday at 3pm. PH is 8.2, Ammonia is 0 (I don't have nitrate or nitrite tester, though). I have shell based "gravel" (bits of shell, which we cleaned thoroughly). The LFS said that I should bring the water in for testing, bring the fish back(they'll give my $$ back since they were temporary) and get the salinity up in the water then bring home the puffy. She said put 1 scoop of the marine salt in the morning, then one scoop at night then get the puffer the next day. The LFS's puffer salinity is .012. On tis board, that sounds really high... Should I start out that high since that's what they've got him at and then gradually decrease or start out with less to begin with?
My question is: Is that a good plan for getting the salinity up? Will it settle at the bottom or dissolve? I saw something about adding too much salt too soon will kill the bacteria. I'm willing to buy more Bio Spira and put it in after the salt... I had a particular puffer in mind (his personality really stood out to me) so I would like to get it sooner than later.
I saw something out putting the water in a bucket to get the salinity up and doing a 50% water change but won't that kill the bacteria too? Please help!
razzledazzlebee
Puffer Fry

Re: Getting ready for a Figure 8

Nobody has anything to say?
OK, brief rundown of the questions:
1. Is .012 too high of salinity for brackish?
2. Should I start out the tank at .012 and work it down or start out lower (like .008 or .010)?
3. Will bringing the salinity up kill the bacteria?
4. If so, will buying another packet of Bio-Spira and putting it in after salinity is up help?
5. What is the best way to put the marine salt in the water?

Thank you! I'm planning to take the temporary fish back today and start with the salinity so I need answers asap. Thanks in advance!
crazedpuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x Porcupine Puffer
1xValentini

Post by crazedpuffer »

Welcome to the forum!
Yeah .012 is too high for a F8's best health. What is the salinity in your tank now? If your raise it by more then .002 a week then the bacteria will die off and basically the tank will cycle again. You should add the alt into a bucket and add hot water stir it together with a spoon or something untill all the salt is dissolved.
razzledazzlebee
Puffer Fry

Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the prompt response! I'm not sure of the salinity right now. I bought a salinity measuring thing but I seemed to have misplaced it. Still looking, and will post what it is when I find it.
If I do put salt in quickly,can't I just buy more Bio-Spira to offset the bacteria loss?
Should I aim to introduce the puffy at .012 since that's what he's used to and gradually decrease, or would it be okay to put him in at a safer salinity level right away (.05 seems a popular choice on here)?
razzledazzlebee
Puffer Fry

I found my hydrometer, but it is stupid! It only goes down to 1.010 so I'll have to take it back and get one that goes lower... I stuck it in and of course it's below .10.... I haven't added any salt yet. However, hopefully with the shells as the bottom it should help with salinity, right?
crazedpuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x Porcupine Puffer
1xValentini

Post by crazedpuffer »

I'd try to get it as close to .012 as possible. I believe they sell brackish bio-spira. I'd look into getting that.

EDIT: I couldn't find brackish bio spira on google, I guess it doesn't exist?
Nick
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Mine:
GSPs - Shakespeare and Jillybean
F8 - Velvet
My fiance:
DP - Emma Goldman
Narrow Lined Puffer - Ulrike
Location (country): Northeastern USA

Post by Nick »

You use freshwater BS for brackish under about 1.011, and 1.011 or over, SW biospira. Probably a good idea to avoid the dead middle of the road though. Shells will not have any affect on SG. They will harden and buffer the water a small amount, but that's all. In a 12 gallon tank, I'd start with about 3/4 of a cup of salt at next water change, that would be safe for the bacteria. My experience with F8 puffers is that a few hours of acclimation will comfortably bring them down even from full marine, the biofilter is more fragile than the puffer and it's stability more important than prefect SG match with the store when bringing your new puffer home.
No matter how magnificent your successes or devastating your failures, the worlds' approximately 5 billion impoverished people could not possibly care less.
razzledazzlebee
Puffer Fry

Thanks for the advice! I got the water tested, and it was all good. I am now getting the levels of the Salinity up then I'm putting more Bio-Spira in. I should get my puffer tomorrow if everything goes as planned! :) Any good name suggestions for a Figure 8?
Boxermom
Former Staff Member

Post by Boxermom »

What do you mean you got the water tested and it was all good?
Tina

Puffers: Auriglobus silus x1, Tetraodon travancoricus x1, Tetraodon turgidus x1, Tetraodon miurus x1, Tetraodon nigroviridis x2, Tetraodon baileyi x2, Tetraodon lineatus x1, Tetraodon palembangensis x1
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Do not add the Bio-Spira until you add the fish. Pour it into your filter.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
razzledazzlebee
Puffer Fry

I took the water to the LFS and it was 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, .25 nitrates (all good). :)
Right now it's reading 1.008. Will the puffer be comfortable at this level if he's coming from 1.012? Should I try to get it up to 1.010? I'm sure I killed a bunch of bacteria by raising it so quickly, that's why I was thinking of adding the Bio-Spira again to make up for this.
But you say I shouldn't add the bio-spira again until I get home with the fish tomorrow? Doesn't it take at least 24 hours to work? Doesn't it help to get the tank back to cycled before bringing him home? I'm confused...
Boxermom
Former Staff Member

Post by Boxermom »

If its already cycled at 1.008, I wouldn't bother raising it up any further or get Biospira. You can slowly acclimate him from 1.012 to 1.008 safely.
Tina

Puffers: Auriglobus silus x1, Tetraodon travancoricus x1, Tetraodon turgidus x1, Tetraodon miurus x1, Tetraodon nigroviridis x2, Tetraodon baileyi x2, Tetraodon lineatus x1, Tetraodon palembangensis x1
Myaj
Tech Team
My Puffers: Bubba, turgidus
Paris, lined burrfish

Post by Myaj »

My assumtion would be that it appears cycled because there are no fish in the tank to produce ammonia-nitrites.. so of course the ammonia and nitrites are reading at zero. (assuming the "cycling" fish have been taken back to the store?)

You already have the puffer home now, right? The biospira should protect you, but its best if you have your own ammonia and nitrite and nitrate kits to keep a close eye on any new tank, just so you can see problems right away.