wrong info on a figure eight

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
martin day
Puffer Fry

Post by martin day »

how long can they survive for in fw i wont be able to get the salt untill next friday as i have to work all weekend will he be ok i really hope so
Phaedrus
Former Staff Member

Post by Phaedrus »

They should be fine for such a brief period of time.

The benefit of the salt seems to become apparent over the life span of the fish. For instance, an F8 kept in FW for it's whole life may be more prone to disease and stress and may only live for a few years, whereas an F8 kept in low brackish conditions may live a much longer and healthier life of 10 years or more.

In other words, take it slow and steady, no need to rush.
crazy loaches
Dwarf Puffer

Re: wrong info on a figure eight

Post by crazy loaches »

martin day wrote:ive just brought a baby fig 8 when i got him the shop owner he said it was fresh and brakish but reading up they are brakish puffers hes in fresh at the mo untill friday when i get some marine salt will he be ok in there untill then and when adding the salt do i just put it straight in ? :?
Dont freak out or anything... most all lfs around here have all thier brackish fish in fresh water. Probably alot easier and cheaper for them to maintain. Many brackish fish are born in fresh water also. As long as you acclimate them to salt it will be fine. Just dont change the salinity in an established tank too fast. Fish can handle a faster SG change than the beneficial bacteria in your filter. As others have said, just add in some salt to your water change water and bring it up no more than .001 at a time (IMO).
http://tristan.homelinux.net/fish/
* 150G Setting up
* 75G Freshwater Planted
* 45G Bowfront Brackish
* 40G Brackish
* 20G Plants, Guppies, Snails, low/no maintenence tank