F8 substrate

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Adventim
Figure 8 Puffer

F8 substrate

Post by Adventim »

Do I need to get sand substrate for F8's or can I stick with pebble gravel?
.......____
........\\|//
..........\/
........\/..\/
......../.....\
.......( 0 0 )
my puffer

- Tim :-)
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

It is usually recommended to use crushed coral or aragonite, to keep the pH steady around 8.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
OraLacerta
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Tetraodon biocellatus.
RIP: C. travancoricus, Chilomycterus schoepfi. Canthigaster jactator.
Location (country): USA

Post by OraLacerta »

They don't burrow into the substrate so sand is just extra work. If I wasn't so superficial I wouldn't have gone with black sand and would have gotten crushed argonite as PP suggested... :P
SkeptikaL
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by SkeptikaL »

Truth is anything is just fine. They don't really care, not that my puffs talk to me... yea... But really, it doesn't make a difference. However, if your tap water isn't at/around a pH of 8.0, like they said, some kinda crushed argonie/coral would help act as a buffer. But if you have a pH of 8.0+, its not necessary. Pebbles are fine.
Adam_J
Puffer Fry

Post by Adam_J »

Skeptical I would not be as so bold to say anything, sillicate based substrates are certainly not good for pufers. Any scatches they recieved on their bellys while searching the bottom of the tank would certainly result in the emergence of a bacterial infection.

**AJ
***Adam J.*** a.k.a. Mr. Code3
shine_on
Puffer Fry

Post by shine_on »

I thought if you put a back of the aragonite in your filter to keep the pH steady then you could use whatever substrate you wanted?
Jayhawk
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by Jayhawk »

Aragonite in your filter will buffer...but to what extent depends upon filter size and the natural KH of your water.

My experience with silica sand is that it will not cause cuts, scrapes, or abrasions that tear up kuhli, dojo loach, or cory whiskers (multiple years of keeping them on silica play sand).

Eric
SkeptikaL
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by SkeptikaL »

Sorry, adam is right, puffs don't do well wth sharp objects. Other than that tho, it's your choice. You're only restricted furthermor if you don't have good water conditions.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

I am not a sand fan in any way, but I am highly dubious that silica sand represents any significant physical and health hazard to any puffer. Hazards to the magnetically driven tank equipment, the tank's water chemistry and biology, and required upkeep are different topics.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Adam_J
Puffer Fry

Post by Adam_J »

I am not a sand fan in any way, but I am highly dubious that silica sand represents any significant physical and health hazard to any puffer.

Well then chief, you've not dealt with many marine organisms have you...especially elasmobranchs. It's marine aquarist 101 that sillicates and sharply laden foreign objects can cause bacterial infections. I see this problem and respond to it quite commonly on WWM, especialy aquarists who live near beached and unnowingly use the sand fromt here in aquaria. I will provide proof if you require.

Hazards to the magnetically driven tank equipment, the tank's water chemistry and biology, and required upkeep are different topics.

Tat would be the one part of the comment I agree with, and it isn't what I was talking about.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Well, let's see. I did over 25 years of fishkeeping using nothing but sand in FW, BW, and SW (and no, I have never kept elasmobranchs - but I have kept one heck of a lot of puffers).

BTW, I set my first successful SW invert tank in the 1960s, how about you?

Because some novices use unsuitable materials and techniques in their tank is no indication that we all do. Your brush is too broad IMNSHO.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
brian
Puffer Fry

Post by brian »

I have seen this subject about sand beat to death on other forums. Some say silica sand causes algae , it hurts the bottom feeders and on and on. Then you have just as many people that use the stuff and have never had a problem so until someone can show me scientific proof i say use what you want cause I've seen this debate so many times on every marine forum , reef club out there.
Adam_J
Puffer Fry

Post by Adam_J »

All you have to do is read any of the sillicate case studdies by Randy Holems Farley, Ph. D. or RObbert Fenner, those are kind of experts I "brush" my information from, I don't need to post a list of my experience I don't think that is necessary. Just research and read the articles and proof they speak for themselves.
Dinsdale
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Bak Mei, ~4" Auriglobus Modestus. In a 55g tank (since '06) w/ some guppies he pays no attention to.
Location (country): USA

Post by Dinsdale »

I don't think it's marine aquarist 101 at all. And to suggest that RTR hasn't dealt with many marine organisms... :roll:

He didn't say you "brushed" information from someone (wouldn't have made much sense). Reread the post. Then reread yours. Repeat as necessary.
Adam_J
Puffer Fry

Post by Adam_J »

I stand by statements and if you wish it to be discussed any further, then PM me.