Puffy Knight?

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
hobbes
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: T suvatti

Puffy Knight?

Post by hobbes »

Currently my Figure Eight Puffer is in a 29 gallon. He's been with me for quite awhile, more than two months at least.. He's ALMOST an inch and a half (not including tail). He's quite the messy eater like most puffers should be.

So, I was thinking of getting a knight goby to help out with the debris/left overs. Will it work? What do you guys think?
SkeptikaL
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by SkeptikaL »

He will eat what the puff misses, but he will also add more of a bio load than he will take away... So, get him only cuz you want him, not for any practical efficiency purposes...
OraLacerta
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Tetraodon biocellatus.
RIP: C. travancoricus, Chilomycterus schoepfi. Canthigaster jactator.
Location (country): USA

Post by OraLacerta »

They can be really pushy/mean too once they get full size, so just keep that in mind and if you do get one provide a lot of cover for your puff should problems arise. Mine hoards food, but he only comes out of hiding during feeding time so my puffs tolerate him :P

Like SkepticaL said, adding another fish won't reduce the bio load, and also you may end up feeding more if one is out-competing the other for food. I think Knights are worth it because they are such clowns.
Jayhawk
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by Jayhawk »

The figure 8/knight combo is working for me this time (the first time with a big knight didn't work out - the knight was a bully). Look for a smaller knight and I think you'll be better off. I also have a dalmation molly in there, too...all in a 29 gallon like you have.

Eric