Sphoeroides maculatus

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
xenacanth9
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Virginia, united states

Sphoeroides maculatus

Post by xenacanth9 »

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. There's a chance some of you know me from MFK:https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/foru ... h9.180674/

Anyway, Sphoeroides maculatus are native and fairly common in my area. I've thought about snatching one once or twice... Good eating, by the way. I see them in brackish water fairly often. Do you think a 75g with a salinity of 1.010-1.015 would suffice? Would their care by any chance be similar to annulatus? They can get up to about 1', but 7-8" is more realistic. Would probably be a native tank, maybe even species only, so worst comes to worst, I could probably just release it at a certain point.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Sphoeroides maculatus

Post by Pufferpunk »

I would match the specific gravity you are capturing them in, although salt water conditions are probably best long-term. For a foot long fish, I would prefer seeing them in a larger tank.

How are they prepared for eating?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
xenacanth9
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Virginia, united states

Re: Sphoeroides maculatus

Post by xenacanth9 »

Unlike almost all puffers, they are actually not dangerous to eat. However, it is believed that they still possess some non-lethal toxins, so it's advised to clean of all skin and viscera very efficiently before eating.