Puffers and Betta Mahachaiensis

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
K2ggers
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Singapore

Puffers and Betta Mahachaiensis

Post by K2ggers »

I've gotten a single juvenile Betta Mahachaiensis in my brackish tank right now (Betta Mahachaiensis is naturally found in brackish swamps, it is one of the few hardwater Betta species). No signs of aggression and the Betta is slurping up bloodworms, but I'm wondering how difficult it would be to start breeding a colony of them once I manage to find a female. I'm not too sure of the gender of my current one. It was labeled as male but it's skin seems brown compared to the usual black of males, so it could be a female. It has vertical stripes along its body which I thought were stress stripes but could also be juvenile striping. It hides most of the time and is extremely skittish, whenever a swordtail swims next to it it darts across the tank. How should I go about trying to breed it once I find a female? I'm either considering raising the fry in a breeder box or in a separate 10 gallon Tupperware container.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Puffers and Betta Mahachaiensis

Post by Pufferpunk »

Where's the puffer?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
K2ggers
Puffer Fry

Post by K2ggers »

They are the tank with the Betta. No aggression and the Betta seems healthy.
K2ggers
Puffer Fry

Post by K2ggers »

They are in the tank with the Betta. No aggression and the Betta seems healthy.
K2ggers
Puffer Fry

Post by K2ggers »

Update: I've added the female Mahachai. Both are alive and healthy, eating a bit too much, but otherwise they are fine. I'm planning to breed them in December.