Feeding f8s in a community tank?

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
pufferpunk20
Puffer Fry
Location (country): America

Feeding f8s in a community tank?

Post by pufferpunk20 »

Hi, so I am (hopefully) about to be setting up a 60 gallon brackish tank. I currently have one f8 that I'm going to move into the 60 once it's cycled and I'm planning on adding another f8 and probably a goby or two. My question is how I would make sure that the gobies are getting enough food and the puffers aren't eating it. I know my puffer is a greedy little thing, so I wondered if anyone had any tricks.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Feeding f8s in a community tank?

Post by Pufferpunk »

Since the goby eats from the bottom and your puffers eat from the middle, whatever food falls to the bottom probably will go to the goby. There are many other fish you can keep in there with a tank that size. What species goby were you looking at? Knight gobies are wonderful fish. You can do a search for red chromide, they're beautiful little brackish cichlids. Also look at mollies, they're good with maintenance and LG care.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
pufferpunk20
Puffer Fry
Location (country): America

Re: Feeding f8s in a community tank?

Post by pufferpunk20 »

Cool, thanks! I'm leaning towards a knight goby or two, but considering bumblebees. I have heard of chromides and mollies, I'm just not sure how my puffer will react to them because he has been by himself for several months and he's pretty small now- not full grown. I'm also fairly new to brackish, so suggestions are always appreciated :)