New to puffers looking for advice

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Mcavalear
Puffer Fry
Location (country): North Carolina USA

New to puffers looking for advice

Post by Mcavalear »

I was planning to set up a 75 gallon tank for my son because he is obsessed with the fish section at the pet store where we get our dog food. I was planning on going with mbuna cichlids because that is what i kept when I was younger. I accidentally came across some videos of puffers and after researching this site we decided to go with puffers. I want to build the tank around the fish i plan to keep. Ive narrowed it down to either GSP or F8. With this size tank could i keep more than 1 GSP or a small group of F8’s. Ive searched the web and found alot of conflicting info.

Thanks
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: New to puffers looking for advice

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yes, 2 GSPs at adult size would be the size of a Nerf football & would be quite happy in there! If you decided to eventually up it to saltwater, you could add a few interesting SW fish.
library/puffers-in-focus/an-introductio ... d-puffers/

As far as F8s, you would be able to keep about a half dozen of them with lots of other interesting Brackish fish.
library/puffers-in-focus/fig8/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Mcavalear
Puffer Fry

Post by Mcavalear »

Pufferpunk wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:01 pm Yes, 2 GSPs at adult size would be the size of a Nerf football & would be quite happy in there! If you decided to eventually up it to saltwater, you could add a few interesting SW fish.
This is where im getting confused. I read alot of info that switching GSP to full SW was necessary as they mature. Can i keep them in BW for their entire life and use FW filtration? I was planning on using 2 AC110’s.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

You can but you'd save a ton on $alt going full marine.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Mcavalear
Puffer Fry

Post by Mcavalear »

Seems like a waste of time and money to buy all the FW gear just to switch to SW down the road. I know technology and opinions change all the time. If i were to set up the 75 gal as a FOWLR for 2 GSP would a sump be best or would i be ok with a HOB skimmer?