GSP Glass surfing and grey belly

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
chloemae
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

GSP Glass surfing and grey belly

Post by chloemae »

I've had my green spotted pufferfish for a little over a year now and he's recently been showing signs of stress and boredom. His belly now only gets white when I'm sleeping, and he seems to be not as happy as he used to be. I introduced new plants a little while ago as to try to combat his boredom, but to no avail (though he does love his java fern :razz: ). I currently have him in a 5 gallon tank, my lfs misinformed me with incorrect puffer care so I bought a 5 gal. I'm about to upgrade to a 10 gal but I can't get any bigger as I plan on taking him to college and dorms won't allow tanks over 10 gallons. Will a tank upgrade and a more densely planted tank help? Thank you!!

Ph: 8
Amonia: 0
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
Salinity: 1.004
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: GSP Glass surfing and grey belly

Post by Pufferpunk »

Hi, welcome!

At this age, he belongs in a 30g MINIMUM & he is stunted. What test kits are you using? You should be showing nitrate.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
chloemae
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Post by chloemae »

Hello! That was a typo haha the nitrate is showing. I'm using the API freshwater test kit. I will be upgrading his tank this Friday! I also upped the salinity a bit. His belly has been pretty consistently white and he's been so much happier because of it!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yay!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"