Setting up a Brackish Tank For Figure 8 Puffers

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Puffer Perfect
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Setting up a Brackish Tank For Figure 8 Puffers

Post by Puffer Perfect »

Hello!

This of my first post, and I am hoping that I will be able to contribute more to this site as my experience increases! I am working on setting up a 25 gallon brackish water tank for a single figure 8 puffer. I was originally debating between getting the GSP or the figure 8, but I decided on getting a single figure 8 because of the smaller tank size that I have available to me. I figured that this fish, as they are smaller than the GSP, would be more comfortable in my 25 gallon. I also thought that it would be easier to manage this smaller tank at a lower specific gravity, which kept me from choosing the GSP (which require an almost full marine environment as an adult).

Anyway, I set my tank up on Sunday evening with freshwater and a bottom layer of CaribSea Aquatics Eco-Complete African Cichlid Zack Sand (to increase the pH). I have not yet added any decor yet, and I have not added any sources of ammonia for the tank bacteria to feed on (i.e. pure ammonia concentrate, decaying fish food, fish, etc.). At the moment, I am stuck on what to do next in order to properly cycle my tank. The bag of substrate claimed to have active bacterial cultures inside, but I have a hard time believing that this could be true because the bag was airtight and had no source of nutrients to keep the advertised bacteria alive. I do not know if I should take out 50% or so of the water and mix brackish water in a separate bucket to replace it with (I am aiming to have a specific gravity of 1.005 to 1.008) or if I should leave the tank freshwater for the cycling process and slowly convert it to brackish water after I establish my nitrifying bacteria and buy my puffer. I was not sure if such a drastic change in specific gravity would kill the supposedly present bacteria in my gravel, or if I would be fine to switch to a brackish cycle this early in the game. My LFS keeps their baby puffers in a freshwater setup, so if I was to convert my tank to brackish water right now for the cycling process, I would need to drip acclimate the fish before putting him in his new home. As far as drip acclimating goes, how would you suggest doing this if I was to take this route? I have read multiple articles on the process, and some had said that drip acclimation should take about one hour, while others said that it could take 24 hours (of course, with the addition of a bubbler to keep the fish alive). Which do you think would be most effective? The last thing that I would want to do is hurt the poor little guy.

I have never had a brackish tank before, but I presently have a 55 gallon freshwater tank and I am working on rehabilitating an overly-salty 55 gallon marine aquarium that belongs to my father. Please let me know what you think that I should do to make this process as simple and error-free as possible! I have always wanted a brackish puffer, and I am excited to make my dreams a reality! I appreciate all of the help that you can give me :D
Puffer Perfect
Puffer Fry

Re: Setting up a Brackish Tank For Figure 8 Puffers

Post by Puffer Perfect »

Also, what type of filtration do you suggest? I plan on doing a water change about once per week like I do with my freshwater tank, and I presently have the tank on what I think is a Aqueon QuietFlow LED PRO 20 Aquarium Power Filter, which is rated for tanks up to 30 gallons. I got the thing so long ago, however, that I am not completely sure of the size of it. Also, I know that figure 8 puffers like a relatively strong current, so I was also trying to figure out how to add a bit extra circulation to the tank in addition to the filter (only if necessary; the tank seems to get pretty decent flow with the filter alone).

Thanks Again!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Welcome!
Start by reading this: library/puffers-in-focus/fig8/
And this: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19348

I'm really glad you decided to go with the F8, rather than the GSP!
As my article states, cycle your tank as FW & then after the parameters are stable for 3-4 weeks, you can start raising the salinity.

I prefer Aquaclear filters above all. You can even go with the largest one they make, I believe it's a 110.

You are correct--that substrate contains NO live bacteria. You can just seed your tank with filter media from your FW tank.
library/water-filtration/fishless-cycling/

library/water-filtration/emergencycycle/

Happy to answer any other questions that you have. :)
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Puffer Perfect
Puffer Fry

Post by Puffer Perfect »

That was a lot of great advice! I read a lot of things that sounded like this, but the articles that you gave me were very concise and made it so that I do not have to have 20 tabs open on my computer at every given moment about setting up a new fish tank :) . I am worried about one more thing though... I put my substrate into the tank without rinsing it because the bag specifically said not to rinse it. Again, the substrate was CaribSea Aquatics Eco-Complete African Cichlid Zack Sand. Was this a bad thing to do? Should I remove the substrate, put it in a pillowcase or something, and rinse it out? The tank was super cloudy when I first set it up, but it looked much better when I looked at it the next morning. When I went to clean the excess gravel residue off of the walls (only some was there), The tank was stirred up again and there were some small particles floating in the water. The tank did not turn milky like when I first started, however. I'm not sure if this could hurt the fish, but I don't want to take any chances. I just wanted to make sure that I had my substrate done right before I tried to start up a new bacterial colony.

Thanks again!
Last edited by Puffer Perfect on Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

It won't hurt the fish but may take a very long time to clear up & then every week when you have to stir the substrate for water changes, you'll have the issue over again. Also, if that bag at one time did contain live bacteria (now dead), you don't want all that in your system.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Puffer Perfect
Puffer Fry

Post by Puffer Perfect »

Thank you for all of your great advice! I am well on my way with this tank, as I have added decor and I started the fishless cycling process with Dr. Tim's fish tank ammonia and a bacteria-filled filter pad from my most trusted LFS. I also cleaned out my gravel and did a practice water change before put in my bacteria/ammonia, which stopped the cloudy tank issue that I had before. I found out that my tank was a 15 gallon tank instead of a 25 gallon, but I figured that this would be fine because I am only putting the one figure 8 puffer in there (with no other species). If he seems to get too big for the tank after a while or he starts to pace out of frustration, I will just have to look for a more spacious option for the little guy. I am super excited for my tank to be cycled so that I can get my first brackish puffer! My father had a porcupine puffer in his saltwater community tank many years ago, but the poor puff had to be re-homed because of his tendencies of eating tank-mates. I am excited to have a puffer in his own personal tank so that I can enjoy his antics without worrying about losing any of my other fish! :D
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yay! Can\t wait to see him/her!

Puffer Perfect
Puffer Fry

Post by Puffer Perfect »

Yay! I finally found a figure 8 puffer to keep in my tank. As soon as I got my tank cycled, I performed my water change, checked my tank parameters, and rushed to my LFS hoping to find a puffer fish. It was my luck that they had stopped selling them for the breeding season! I ended up getting a few bumblebee gobies to keep the tank cycled (which are ADORABLE), and got the puffer a few months later. I converted the tank to brackish water when I got the bumblebee gobies, and I added the puffer (who was in fresh water when I got him) through a VERY slow acclimation process. I have no Idea if it is a boy or a girl, but I named "him" Perseus ("Percy"). I have had him for a few weeks now, and he is doing great! He still paces the glass some, but much less frequently than when I got him. I just need to find him some snails; I think that he is getting a little bored with the clams on a half-shell. I am glad that he hasn't resorted to eating my gobies! :D Thank you for all of your help; I used your fishless cycling advice to cycle yet another tank, which was ready in record time! (You know that you are really into the fishkeeping hobby when you have 3 tanks in one room. :D )
Finally got a puffer.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Congrats! Love your photo. :)
library/feeding/feeding-your-puffers/