GSP getting bullied by a... Molly? What?

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Fisker
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

GSP getting bullied by a... Molly? What?

Post by Fisker »

Hey guys,

I recently came across a 3" GSP in a freshwater store - great store, but they don't deal in salt, and the puffer had been sent to them by mistake. So I got him for free! I had been wanting one anyway, but didn't have an acclimation tank up. So, I dripped him for 8 hours into my 55 gallon FOWLR - a tank that I expected him to terrorize, to be honest. It's got two juvenile Clarkii Clowns, a juvenile yellowtail damsel, and two mollies, one who I've affectionately named "Chonk" after her 4" size.

Well, he took his acclimation like a champ, and promptly took off into the tank to hide. Today, when I got home from work, I noticed that "Chonk" the molly has been chasing the GSP around. What? All GSP's I've had in the past (even 1" juveniles) have been absolute terrors. This guy hasn't eaten yet, although he has a really round, full belly. Chonk never actually makes contact with the puffer, she just chases him across the tank, and then turns away. She doesn't do it to any other fish in the tank.

Should I just give it time? I keep on waiting for the GSP to turn and chase Chonk off into the rockwork, but not so far. Should I move the mollies into another tank? I've got a macro tank I've been raising some SW Guppies in that I could move the mollies into, although it wouldn't be ideal.

Kinda stumped!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: GSP getting bullied by a... Molly? What?

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
Yep, mollies are very often bullies.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Fisker
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Post by Fisker »

I ended up moving the molly out last night, and the GSP has become braver already. Guess she just didn't like him.
farcryjj
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

Post by farcryjj »

I had to remove the mollies from GSP's tank also. My puffer played dead around them by showing them the belly and turned all grey, multiple times!! After I removed the mollies, my puffer went back to normal, with bright colors and white belly and eating happily. LOL
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Meanies!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"