Ceylon puffer - ideal water conditions

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Ginger90
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Ireland

Ceylon puffer - ideal water conditions

Post by Ginger90 »

Hello everyone!

My dream finally got true and I got a lovely Ceylon puffer from Santa this year along with 50 gallons tank, two filters (we moved sponges from our old healthy tank).

We are however confused how to keep Tootsy happy and healthy- every person seems to have differed opinion regarding the water conditions needed! Given that Tootsy is still small we keep it in freshwater with intention of slowly introducing brackish when she gets older. We have hard water (450ppm) and nitrates are under control - we are currently experiencing slight ammonia issues and we are working hard to resolve them.

I love my puffer so much I want to ensure he has a happy and long life chewing on snails and crayfishes! - can anyone recommend what the ‘perfect’ water conditions are?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Ceylon puffer - ideal water conditions

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
Congrats on getting such a cool, beautiful fish! Care is the exact same as the Green Spotted Puffer: library/puffers-in-focus/an-introductio ... d-puffers/

I'm surprised you are dealing with ammonia since you did move bacteria over from an established tank. Try adding Tetra Safestart to the filter. Perfect parameters are: 0 ammonia/nitrite, nitrate <20, pH 8.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Ginger90
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Ireland

Re: Ceylon puffer - ideal water conditions

Post by Ginger90 »

Pufferpunk wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:56 pm [welcome]
Congrats on getting such a cool, beautiful fish! Care is the exact same as the Green Spotted Puffer: library/puffers-in-focus/an-introductio ... d-puffers/

I'm surprised you are dealing with ammonia since you did move bacteria over from an established tank. Try adding Tetra Safestart to the filter. Perfect parameters are: 0 ammonia/nitrite, nitrate <20, pH 8.
Thank you 😊 we are also confused with the ammonia issues but we added Tetra Safestart and our puffer seems much happier today - he even ate a huge snail to celebrate!