Figure 8 Puffer won't eat

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
cbkelowna
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

Figure 8 Puffer won't eat

Post by cbkelowna »

I have 3 figure 8 puffers that will not eat. I get them about 2 weeks ago and I was able to get them to eat some frozen blood worms at first, but now will not eat anything. I've tried snails, freeze fried shrimp soaked in garlic, live shrimp, and live small crayfish. They won't eat anything. There tummies are white, but at times one of them will go a gray color. They are about 2 inches long. My specs are Nitrate=0, Nitrate=0, Ammonia slightly high at .25, Gravity range is at 1.011. I'm at a loss and don't want to lose the little guys. Please help!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Figure 8 Puffer won't eat

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
How did you cycle this tank? What size tank is it? F8s are good in a SG of 1.003-5.
library/puffers-in-focus/fig8/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
eieio
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: *
The Congo Puffer:
"olivia"
and.......
The DP:
"cream puff"
RIP cream puff :-(
Location (country): U.S.A.

Post by eieio »

can't say much without knowing the details, but getting rid of that ammonia is a MUST!
whatever is causing it could well be the root of the problem.
"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
cbkelowna
Puffer Fry

Post by cbkelowna »

The tank has been set up for a few months, so has gone through cycle...it's a 33 gallon, I will test ammonia again now
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

"Set up" is not cycled. How EXACTLY was this tank cycled?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

cbkelowna
Puffer Fry

Post by cbkelowna »

It was cycled by taking water from my 55 gallon. It was filled with that water, which I've had for just over a year. In the 55 gallon all specs were perfect and still are. Once I had the water in the 33 gallon I slowly started to add marine salt. I will slowly start lowing it again to the 1.003-1005 range. I just don't understand why my ammonia got so high? I do weekly water changes. I have also taken out all un-eaten food which is unfortunately most of it because they haven't eaten. The one thing I did notice on one of the puffers is that there was a long thin white poop he had, but much longer than normal. Could it be a parasite?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

It appears you don't really understand the cycling process. There is little to no nitrifying bacteria in the water column. It lives on surfaces: filter media, substrate, decor, etc. By only adding water from your established system, you have not cycled this tank at all. I suggest doing an 80% WC & add filter media from your larger tank. Also, add Tetra Safestart to your filter. Do NOT add any salt, until your parameters are stable for a month (0 ammonia/nitrite, <20 nitrate), What substrate are you using?

library/water-filtration/fishless-cycling/
library/water-filtration/emergencycycle/

cbkelowna
Puffer Fry

Post by cbkelowna »

Thank you for your reply. I should have stated that I did take the filter out of the 55 gallon and ran it in my 33 gallon for 24 hours when I first set up the tank. I have Seachem Stability coming in the mail tomorrow, but do you think the Tetra Safestart would be better? I have read up a lot on the cycle process. This tank has been up and running for at least a few months and Ammonia was at zero at one time.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Ammonia will always be 0 in an empty tank. Fish produce ammonia. Did you read those articles I posted?
library/water-filtration/aquariummicrobespart1/