F8 Puffer and Fancy Guppies in a planted 21 gallon long UNS rimless tank?

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Pooka
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

F8 Puffer and Fancy Guppies in a planted 21 gallon long UNS rimless tank?

Post by Pooka »

Hi, I've kept planted freshwater tanks for 7 years and I'm planning to start my first F8 tank. I will greatly appreciate any advice regarding the tank or tank-mates. The LFS currently keeps their F8s in freshwater with a pinch of salt so I will measure the salinity of the store's tank when I buy the F8 and then gradually raise the salinity in my 21 gallon tank until it's around 1.005. I originally planned to keep two F8 puffers in the 21 gallon tank with egg crate cover and a 40 gallon HOB filter. If the F8s start to show aggression towards each other, I would place a divider in the middle of the tank. Now, I am considering getting just one F8 along with some sweet looking fancy guppies being sold at the same LFS. Can fancy guppies handle a 1.005 salinity? The F8 puffers at the LFS are already pushing two inches so they may refuse to coexist with the guppies... but c'est la vie. I will try to keep them satiated with live brine shrimp, snails, and gammarus from my live-food-farm. Follow up question: Can lipstick gobies coexist with F8 puffers in a brackish tank?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: F8 Puffer and Fancy Guppies in a planted 21 gallon long UNS rimless tank?

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
You cannot keep 2 F8s in a 20g tank. A singleton is recommended. Puffers love to bite long fins like guppy's. Also, can you keep a top on a rimless tank? Your puffer WILL jump!
library/puffers-in-focus/fig8/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Pooka
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Post by Pooka »

Thanks for the advice! I have an egg crate light diffuser cover that is too narrow for the puffers to pass through. It will allow for easy feeding and water top-offs. Do you think evaporation and salt creep will prove troublesome with a rimless, mesh-covered brackish tank?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

It may.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"