GSP rapid breathing

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
TroyFloyd1213
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

GSP rapid breathing

Post by TroyFloyd1213 »

Hello i just recently bought a GSP 1 week ago, he is about 1-1.5 inches long, i slowly started adding the marine salt,he is in 46 gallon bowfront with a jewel cichlid a convict cichlid and kribensis ( and i know before i get hate about putting him with cichlids the cichlids leave him alone and dont even really notice him) i sadly do not have a hydrometer or refractometer, im looking into buying one soon, but i added 1 cup of instant ocean for every 5 gallons of water which should average out at about 1.005-1.006, the tank parameters are: PH: 7.5, ammonia: 0 Nitrite:0 Nitrate:20-25, he is swimming around im just worried because hes breathing so rapidly, his stomach is white and not sunken in i just hope he will eat next feeding time, he ate this morning (jan.30th) but this evening tried feeding him he didnt eat, ive been feeding him high protein sinking pellets chopped up earth worms, and small pieces of chopped up fish, this is only until i make it to petsmart to get ghost shrimp and hopefully some pest snails/pond snails( tadpole and ramshorn snails) i am going to get his food first i do not have the money to buy a hydrometer yet. Thanks
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: GSP rapid breathing

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
I highly suggest returning that puffer until you can rehome those cichlids or set up a separate brackish tank for him. Those other fish will NOT appreciate BW at all!
Your nitrate is too high. What is your water change schedule like?

It would do you good to do some research on keeping these fish, before getting another.
library/puffers-in-focus/an-introductio ... d-puffers/
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19348
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"