Figure 8 Pufferfish questions.

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
BumbleBee
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Figure 8 Pufferfish questions.

Post by BumbleBee »

This is my first ever fish tank, so I am a newbie.

I recently acquired a figure 8 pufferfish. His patterns are not the normal figure 8 puffer patterns, and I am 100% sure he is a figure 8, not a GCP or ceylon. Can someone tell me if he will grow these patterns as he gets older (he is only about 1.5 inch) or is he stuck with his unnatural random looking patterns?

He also seems to have a blue glint in his eyes, and a few dark marks on his chin.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Figure 8 Pufferfish questions.

Post by Pufferpunk »

Pic?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
thatmarinescienceguy
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Puff Puff McGuff... an F8 who lived in 15-18 ppt, 75g, solo, I had for 6 years who left me with the sweetest memories.. who was apparently a boy with, according to the Vet a big set of gonads.
Location (country): Florida, USA

Re: Figure 8 Pufferfish questions.

Post by thatmarinescienceguy »

My F8 Puff used to get his "puff pants" on after he ate... meaning is belly turned from bright white to mottled dark grey spots. I also called those his sleep pants, as that's what he'd put on when he was sleeping, which he often did after eating. My Puff when he was younger used to get a grey chin, but only at times, too. His belly only gradually started to spot up after eating and during naps. So that's probably going to come and go.

Just make sure the blue in the eye is not mistaken for cloudy eye. That, forum people correct me if I am wrong, is a sign of high nitrates and a water change is needed.

*I am, I consider, new to keeping puffers. I have experience with only one, Puff Puff McGuff, who lived with me for about 6 years. He lived in a 75g brackish sandy substrate with tons of live rock, and a hermit crab who was his friend (I saw them hang out alot together).