Setting up a 20g for a F8 Puffer

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
iceicebaby93
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Setting up a 20g for a F8 Puffer

Post by iceicebaby93 »

I have a 20g freshwater tank that currently houses a number of fish that will soon be moving to a 36g freshwater bowfront. I have a juvenile figure 8 puffer that I am going to be moving to the 20g tank. Currently he is in my 15g freshwater tank as that's what he was in when I got him as well, but I know that F8's ultimately need brackish water, but I'm not sure what to do to get the 20g set up/changed to be ready for the puffer or if I need to change anything currently other than the water type. Can i do it all at once and drip acclimate him or do I add him and then increase the SG slowly? Also does it need to be cycled without fish for a bit after the freshwater fish are moved if I CAN do a quick change and then drip acclimate him, or can i just acclimate him since theres already a cycled filter in there?

How do i know the correct amount of salt to mix with the water so that it's the correct salinity since i know it's something you have to increase slowly?
Also a stupid question, how do you do water changes easily with brackish? i see F's like low end brackish, so say for example, 1.006-SG, do you just mix the water you're adding back in to that same SG and add it or will that double the SG? (sorry, dumb math question).

I have a HOB filter, that should still work right? I know F8's are notoriously messy but it will just be him in the 20g. I'm just feeling a little confused...I've read a bunch of articles and I thought I kind of understood but the more I read the more unsure I feel that I understand and will get things right! I guess I'm just feeling a little nervous and I want to make sure I do everything right for him! I made a list of things I need, can someone tell me if I'm missing anything/if you have recommendations for brands or specific items to get on that list that would be great too! Sorry for all the questions, I just want my little guy to be happy!

bucket for mixing saltwater
marine salt
refractometer/hydrometer (which is better/any suggestions on a specific one?)
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Setting up a 20g for a F8 Puffer

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
I did post these 2 links for you on FB:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19348
library/puffers-in-focus/fig8/

HOB filter is fine, I prefer Aquaclears. Cheapest marine salt is good. I prefer a hydrometer but it must be calibrated with a calibration solution & checked every month or so.

You can remove the fish in there & then just acclimate in an hour.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"