How do I turn my freshwater tank into a brackish one with fish living in it?

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
CarrieAnn
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

How do I turn my freshwater tank into a brackish one with fish living in it?

Post by CarrieAnn »

My husband and I have 4 freshwater aquariums, so we're not totally new to this, but, this is our first time turning one of them brackish.
Everything I've read so far only tells me how to set up a brackish tank from the very beginning (not cycled, no fish, etc).
Our tank is fully cycled. Went through the whole nitrogen cycle with tiger barbs in it (not in there anymore, they've moved to a different tank now). Took about a month and a half to cycle. No ammonia, nitrites or nitrates anymore. We are slightly OCD and test our water often.
We bought two figure 8 puffers from the fish store yesterday. So far so good. Associates said they were in freshwater at the fish store and they'll need to go home to a freshwater tank, but to eventually switch the tank over to a brackish one. So we bought Marine salt. Accidentally bought freshwater salt first, realized our mistake and went back and bought the Marine salt this time.
So obviously I need to turn the tank into a brackish one slooowwwwlllly... But how, exactly?
How much Marine salt do I add and how often to make sure my puffer fish don't die?
(I know I have to dissolve the salt in a bucket of water, the same temperature as the tank, first, before I add it to the tank... and I have a hydrometer...)
Thank you for any helpful information.
This is my first post. Please don't be a meanie head.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: How do I turn my freshwater tank into a brackish one with fish living in it?

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"