Initial advice please, planning a brackish tank with mangrove for gsp or figure 8

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
AZL
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United Kingdom

Initial advice please, planning a brackish tank with mangrove for gsp or figure 8

Post by AZL »

Hi, thank you for allowing me to join. I've recently had a freshwater community tank re-homed with me and would really like to try a brackish one as well. It's early days for the freshwater tank so I won't be doing this until that has been stable for some time of course but just wanted to run the ideas I have by the community to establish what's possible and what I should be thinking about in the meantime.

With a bit of re-jigging the largest capacity tank that will fit is 67 USA gallons or 254 litres measuring 35" long X 24" high X 18" wide. Would that comfortably house a pair of GSP's or am I better off with a single figure 8 and perhaps a shoal of bumblebee gobies? Shop says yes to the former as do some sources online but I would never house fish in the minimum space they require. Also, should be be room for all can bumblebee gobies also live with GSP as they are said to with figure 8?

I like the idea of planting with mangroves and would do this during cycling so they help the process and so I know the effect salt exuded from the leaves has on the water salinity over time. This would mean rooting them on rocks so the tank can be completely full rather than reducing the volume needed by the fish and building a custom mesh hood so the leaf canopy can be above the tank and to prevent the fish jumping out (or the cats jumping in). My thinking with this is to provide the fish with more interest and hiding places, bolster the filtration as I realise puffers are messy and need perfect water perimeters, and to add some greenery to the room at the same time. Does this sound ok? Many thanks! :)
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Initial advice please, planning a brackish tank with mangrove for gsp or figure 8

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
That tank would be great for 2 GSPs. I'm not so sure about mangroves though. You do know they eventually grow into large trees? What about an idea like eventually moving them into a marine environment, instead of BW? You'd save a ton of $$$ on $alt for your water changes, as SW only needs 1/3 the tank changed out every 3-4 weeks, compared to 50% weekly for BW.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
AZL
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United Kingdom

Re: Initial advice please, planning a brackish tank with mangrove for gsp or figure 8

Post by AZL »

Hey, thanks for the welcome and the advice. I've been given loads of different info an tank size and wanted to check with people who know puffers well as to if the space I can give them is ideal rather than just the minimum requirement. Everything I've read (from reputable sources) seems to suggest GSPs go from nearly fresh/ slightly brackish, to true brackish, to somewhere closer to salt as they mature. I'm not bothered about water changes, beats the hell out of the gym as a good work out when I don't have a sparring partner or band gear to lug! The fish's well being will be the priority whatever salinity and however frequent the water changes. Red mangrove will tolerate full salt if need be and help with filtration which is important as I'll need to use an internal filter (although I will get a high spec one). Lol they will be a challenge in themselves as while I can partially bonsai them the leafy canopy needs to be above the water and therefore above the tank as the GSP's will need the full volume of water. I'll be building a custom hood with transparent mesh to allow them to grow while keeping the GSP's from jumping out (or the cats from jumping in). Any other input or advice is most appreciated. I hope to start setting up in a couple of months when the freshwater tank is fully settled and to do an initial cycle and another with mangroves so the environment is perfect before introducing fish. :)
Raytheman
Puffer Fry
Location (country): The netherlands

Post by Raytheman »

I had about the same idea. I started to grow some rhizaphora-seeds in a seperate tank and when they are big enough I place them in the main-tank
Rhizaphora006.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.