Are these two gsp both the exact same species?

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
duracell
Puffer Fry
Location (country): london, uk

Are these two gsp both the exact same species?

Post by duracell »

I understand the the term gsp is use to describe a few very slightly different species of puffer that are very hard to distinguish by eye. I’ve picked these two up from two different sources and I’m just wondering if they’re maybe two different species? Their patterns differ slightly but not only that their body shape, one is much rounder from all angles, the other has a flatter back and is more of a long arrow shape when looking from above , it cuts a defined arrow shape. It could be the other is just fatter but it’s hard to tell.

Thanks

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Are these two gsp both the exact same species?

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
Same species.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
NotASpammerDude
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Re: Are these two gsp both the exact same species?

Post by NotASpammerDude »

I am editing this post with an update on what I learned.
From 2009 research, GSPs are considered by some ichthyologists as a "Species Flock," basically there are hybrids between the species to varying degrees of genetic "mixing" between the D. Nigroviridis and the D. Fluviatilis. So there do actually exist hybrids between "GSPs" and Ceylon/Topaz puffers. Furthermore, it's possible that a GSP that appears to be a D. Nigroviridis could be a hybrid puffer. So it's highly likely in my personal opinion that one of those puffers is a hybrid between a GSP and a ceylon/topaz puffer. The only way to know is to do genetic testing. Does this difference affect husbandry? No not really. It's more for people curious about DNA and genetics.