Puffers- banging my head

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Puffers- banging my head

Post by Pufferpunk »

Keep in mind, Amazon puffers have a high incident of ich & velvet when moved to a new environment--be prepared for that. Also, they will need regular dentistry.
library/puffers-in-focus/sap/
library/hospital/dentistry/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Eiko
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Europe

Post by Eiko »

To medicate you could try to soak the food in Garlic. Helps as well against parasites.

I also agree with Pufferpunk, i dont think the fault lies with you. As long as you thaw the shrimp everything is fine. You can also vary with crab and crayfish pieces. They love it. Helps trim their beak down too.

And amazon puffers are very fun fw puffers. Im sure you will enjoy them just as much. And you should never give up.
It doesnt seem like you did anything wrong. So doubt the fault lies with you. So next time just try and order the puffers online from a reputable shop. Or maybe even via facebook. Could be a good try in a group😁 where everyone truly cares about their puffers and takes care of them well. And if you start the new brackish tank up again, there are a few plants that fair well in low brackish like simple java fern, anacharis (my fav options) and also maybe try certain types of anubias. You can google them. But with gsp in such a high salinity, i would stick to their natural habitat. Plants even with such nutrition can just not thrive in high end brackish. You can get fake plants that portrait real plants, made out of a certain fabric. Forgot which.. im not that much into plants haha myself.

Just start the plants like java fern out in fresh (dont let them stay in fresh for too long of a time, and gradually increase salinity so the plants can get used to it. You might be succesfull with low brackish.
JayEmpty
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Post by JayEmpty »

Thanks for the encouragement. I sure would like to do another brackish puffer tank sometime in the near future.
JayEmpty
Puffer Fry

Post by JayEmpty »

Pufferpunk wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:51 am Keep in mind, Amazon puffers have a high incident of ich & velvet when moved to a new environment--be prepared for that. Also, they will need regular dentistry.
library/puffers-in-focus/sap/
library/hospital/dentistry/
Thanks for the reminder Ma'am. I've done your recommended reading including Treating Freshwater Ich. Although, velvet, I still have to lookup.

Incidentally, I've seen this Amazon Puffer from a friend of mine, when I was doing some research. Does this look like ich? Would Aquarium Salt work or can a regular table salt be okay? Can other medications be used that is considered safe for puffers?

Thanks again, as always.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Velvet is treated the same as ich. That pic looks more like a horrible infestation of ich or velvet. Table salt is fine.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
JayEmpty
Puffer Fry

Post by JayEmpty »

Thanks.