Success keeping 2 F8s?

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Maudsalsa
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Success keeping 2 F8s?

Post by Maudsalsa »

I have a cycled 29 gal brackish tank (sg 1.005) with 3 guppies in it. Yesterday I went to my LFS and brought home a juvenile F8 puffer. He is getting along well with the guppies so far, but if he picks on them, I will move the guppies as I want this to be a puffer tank. There was another small F8 of the same size (about 1”) at the LFS and I’m thinking about going back and adding it to the tank. I’ve read the article that you can keep 2 F8s in 25+ gallons so in theory, I have enough space, and there are multiple rock caves for hiding if needed.

I’d like to hear from anyone who has had long term success (or failure :-| ) keeping 2 F8s together. I’d like to keep 2 but I’d rather have one happy puffer than two unhappy ones. Thanks!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Success keeping 2 F8s?

Post by Pufferpunk »

2 should be fine in a 29 but keep in mind, the larger may relentlessly pick on the smaller one.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"