Slow GSP Growth

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Knitwitted
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Slow GSP Growth

Post by Knitwitted »

First time posting here, would welcome any feedback. I have had a young GSP ("Eggroll") for the past 4 months who seems to be doing well, but has only increased in length by about a cm over that time (from about 4 to 5cm). From what I've read, this is slower than expected. Any thoughts on why? Only health problem that he's had is what I believe was freshwater ich (small white spots on fins) in the first month, which resolved with increasing salinity and temp of tank.
Parameters (over last 1-2 months):
30 gal, CaCarbonate sand substrate, plastic plants and various decorations.
SG 1.011 (instant ocean marine salt)
Temp 81-83F, pH 8.2-8.4, Ammonia <0.25, Nitrate 0-5, Nitrite 0
Weekly 10-15% water change
Diet - frozen bloodworms (approx 10-15/day, fed 1-2x daily until full belly seen), alternating with frozen brine shrimp+spirulina and occasional small ramshorn snail.
Tankmates - 3-5 ghost shrimp for help with algae control. He mostly ignores them, but I think occasionally eats them, because they keep disappearing.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Slow GSP Growth

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
Parameters look good. I'd offer him more meaty foods & soak everything you can in Vitachem.
library/feeding/feeding-your-puffers/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Knitwitted
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Re: Slow GSP Growth

Post by Knitwitted »

Thanks! Will give that a try.