Very new to all of this...

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Wikkid Gamez
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Very new to all of this...

Post by Wikkid Gamez »

OK, so here it goes... My daughter came home with a "green spotted puffer"?? from walmart during the weekend while staying with a friend... I don't know the actual name and from what I have stumbled across on google it seems like there is more than one type that can be called that?? It is about an inch long, but has no tail or fins hardly. It looks as though they have been bitten off possibly? I have it in a floating breeding box I had setting inside a 29gal freshwater tetra aquarium. My first thought was to just take it back but to be honest I feel horrible for this poor little fella. I dont really think it will even survive long in its current state and I don't want to put it through the added stress of returning it. My daughter said she bought it because she felt sorry for it. It was the last one still alive in the tank at walmart according to her. It just stays in a little ball kinda in the corner of the box. It did perk up a min for some frozen bloodworms I have for the Betta's. After that it went back into a ball and just sits there watching. At least it looks like its watching... Idk... I found this site while trying to research it and want to ask if it would be possible to salvage the little guy? Or if I should just put it to sleep? ... I keep clove oil for situations with my bettas, they have a tendency to get bad tumors after a few years and I have had to put a couple down when they get to far gone over time. Im researching what I can on these puffers but I'm finding so much conflicting info that I finally just decided to try here... Where better than a forum where everyone is crazy about puffers? Nothing beats hands on experience. Unfortunately my expertize is with tetras of different types and Betta's. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated and yes, I am ready for any criticism as well. I know how irresponsible it is to buy something without being prepared. That being said, in my opinion Walmart has no business selling any kind of live animals to start with... much less selling them to a 13yr old kid smh.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Very new to all of this...

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
You are correct--Walmart has no business selling animals. So by purchasing one from them, its telling them that no matter how bad they treat them, they still are good sellers.
Here's some reading for you:
library/puffers-in-focus/an-introductio ... d-puffers/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Wikkid Gamez
Puffer Fry

Post by Wikkid Gamez »

I didn't purchase it, I wasn't even with my daughter as she was with a friend and her friends mother. I've tried explaining to her why I don't buy things from them. I don't even buy groceries from there. I got to sprouts and food pyramid for most of everything aside from milk and dairy. I go to braums for that. I've boycotted walmart since 2002. I worked there from 2001-2002 and they don't treat their employees any better than those fish. I've been reading around on here a lot today. . . I will read the link posted as well. Thank you.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I in no way was accusing you of buying this fish. Just stating the facts. I hope your daughter learns. Do you have another tank for this guy?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Wikkid Gamez
Puffer Fry

Post by Wikkid Gamez »

I don't yet, I've been looking. We don't have a pet store in town so I order everything online. I can't afford a 55gal atm for it. Would something like this be to small to start off with for now?

https://m.drsfostersmith.com/product/pr ... atid=23535
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

IMO, yes, that would be too small for it's permanent home but would be good for a couple of years. Often, Petsmart has a $1/gallon sale. But if you don't have a Petsmart near you, look on Craigslist, Ebay, aquarium selling groups on Facebook (including local selling groups), Letgo or Offerup
How is he doing, health wise?

hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

If he is eating, get some prazipro to soak his food in to rid him of any parasites :)
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
Wikkid Gamez
Puffer Fry

Post by Wikkid Gamez »

Sorry, work is hectic.... He is moving around more, eating well I squished a couple of the baby snails in the tank and gave them to him... He wants out of the breeding box but I'm afraid to let him out. He has to work to move around and tetras, well my diamonds can be bad about picking at injured fish that are not other diamonds. I ordered some small freeze died krill until i can get some frozen, a box of the instand ocean salt stuff made for a 55gal tank and some of the dark caribsea cichlid substrate... I hope the cichlid substrate will be OK for now ... I looked on Craigslist...... And online... I ended up getting that tank for now, I couldn't find anything within an hour driving even close to the price. If it can work for a year that will give me time and I can turn it into something else later. The closest petsmart is almost 3hrs away. Most of everything I have came from sites like Dr's F & S.... My planted tank has a good snail and ghost shrimp supply ... Is there anything else I should get for now? I will order some prazipro... His tummy was a dark gray the first couple of days its turned almost white the past day r so which i think is good ... I've read so much this week my mind is a jumble i need to go back and re-read again tonight...he watches and comes to the surface when I lift the tank lid... I feel like I am forgetting something. I will post again when I remember. I haven't ordered any decor stuff yet. Not sure what I should learn towards. I am about tapped out till next friday on cash though I am hoping I have enough to get by for a week or two... Not sure what else I need. I forgot to get a hydrometer and a saltwater testing kit for when he starts transition. She everything gets here and I get it set up where do I go from there? Do I cycle the tank first? Or go ahead and add him and some salt and slowly cycle it? The stuff should be here in about a week.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

You can instantly cycle that tank, by adding Tetra Safestart directly to the filter. Fish needs to be added soon after. Be sure you dechlorinate (we like Prime here) & match temp to his other tank.

After it has remained stable for 2 weeks (0 ammonia/nitrite, nitrate <20) you can start making it brackish:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19348

Wikkid Gamez
Puffer Fry

Post by Wikkid Gamez »

OK, awesome ty.. Tetra aquasafe is what I usually use. Is the other better? I've heard of the safe start. Never used it myself. I will give it a try. His tail and fins are already growing back I've noticed I didn't realize they grew so fast. He is moving around a lot better I'm looking for my tank divider to section off a 1/4-1/3 of the tank for him for now so I can let him out of the brewing box. Ik its packed up with my old tank stuff somewhere in the storage building. With my luck I'll find it after the tank I ordered gets here lol. I keep the tetras at 76-78 I will put a heater in the new one when it gets here but it will need to be up and running for at least 24hrs possibly more to bring the water temp up to the same as the other tank. Its 30°F outside here.
eieio
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: *
The Congo Puffer:
"olivia"
and.......
The DP:
"cream puff"
RIP cream puff :-(
Location (country): U.S.A.

Post by eieio »

don't feed krill to a GSP, it can cause lockjaw!
"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
Motherofsharks
Puffer Fry

Post by Motherofsharks »

Hello, how’s the little guy doing? I’m sorry you were attacked on here for your daughters good intentions, I’m new to the community but not new to Puffers. If you still need help I’m happy to provide advice, I just wanted to know first if he’s still alive.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Not attacking--teaching.

Wikkid Gamez
Puffer Fry

Post by Wikkid Gamez »

Goodness... That was an ordeal 😂😂😂.... Im saving my log in info this time .... I got logged out and it took a bit to remember everything....

OK, no krill !!! Got it .... Im going to try and get a pic soon without bugging Freddy too much ... Yes, we named him Freddy ... Idk why, he just looks like a Freddy .... He is really active and loves the bubble wall at the bank of the tank... Plays in it all day.... His tank got here yesterday ( as in tues ) but still waiting on the other stuff... Im going to go ahead and start putting the stand and tank together tomorrow while the kids are at school.

As to the attacking... I don't see it as being attacked personally... I'm sure most of the experienced puffer lovers/owners here get tired of the constant bombardment of people ending up with these little guys that don't have a clue what they are doing. I kinda go through similar types of situations when it comes to hammy's (hamsters) and their proper care vs the miserable short little life in a too small cage without proper diet, exercise and attention. That most of them end up with. That being said...

Here Freddy is, and here he will stay and I will learn and do what needs to be done for him to have the best life I can give him... Even if a couple of my ghost shrimp have disappeared 😂😂😂.. Tank separators don't work very well with them... He has about 1/3 of the 29 long tank I have for my Amazon set up... I know water is way to soft and just not right for him in any way aside from the temp which I keep at around 76°-78° ... That aside, he is recovering quite well.. He has good amounts of new growth on his tail, looks like maybe about 3/4 of it is back? Not quite sure on measurements and his fins have mostly recovered and grown back. He eats.... And eats... And eats.... I was rather surprised to see him munching on a shrimp pellet that accidentally fell on his side when I was feeding the cory's... I didn't think they really ate regular fish food from what I have read. I've been feeding him mostly frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, the wholr tank has lots of baby red ramshorn snails that I've seen him pick at here and there and apparently a couple of ghost shrimp that lost their way to the wrong side of the tank. Or quite possibly I just missed them when I was trying to move everyone else to the other side of the divide. They are bad about hiding ... Either way he's eaten 2 of them since last week... I didn't feed him on those days because I was afraid of overfeeding him. The shrimp were almost as long as he is. Speaking of size, I dont remember if I mentioned that... He is only about 1"-1 1/2" ...I wish I could get some pics up... I tried the other day. Maybe I need a PC idk... Im just on my phone.

I can't remember if there was something else I was going to add or not... He went from being an ugly stumpy little grayish-blackish little ball to a really pretty kinda mossy green with black spots a white tummy and a really big bright green spot?? on his head... He's not shy anymore and is right up to the top pacing the front of the tank as soon as the tank lid starts to move.I am worried about overfeeding as hell constantly acts like he's starving but he has a cute little tummy... He went really skinny for a day after I started the prazipro... I had it over-nighted when I found out about the parasite possibility. I got really worried at first as he just hadn't seemed to do well from the start... 2 days later and it was like he was a whole new fish. Im sorry I seen to write a novel every time I come in here. Between work and sick kids, a rescue hammy I got dumped on me at work and Freddy I've been one busy chicken dancing around like my heads been cut off... When I do make it here when I have time I feel like I should give the best update I can with the time I have lol...

If I'm missing anything or if I need to change anything please let me know. I will pop back in as soon as I can.

And thank you all for taking the time to teach me.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

You're gonna be a great puffermom! While you're waiting to set up his tank, I'd order Tetra Safestart, to get it cycled. What did you get for substrate? Aragonite sand is recommended.