New Tank

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Mobler
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

New Tank

Post by Mobler »

First off, I thought I already posted this so if this ends up being a duplicate please delete the other post.

Hello. I am brand new to the forum and looking for a bit of guidance. I am setting up a new 75 gallon tank with sump+refugium. I am currently leaning towards the GSP due to size and personality. However since this will a new tank I am open to ideas as long as the end result is a puffer as the centerpiece.

1. Ceylon/GSP...what is the difference? I am currently looking at the green spotted puffer that can live in full marine. I am getting a bit confused with the topaz/green/gsp/Ceylon....I am thinking of tetraodon fluviatilis.

2. I do plan on going full marine (open to fw, bw, sw) this a good puffer choice? Is there a potential better option? I really like the size and personality. So if another option is chosen I would like similar traits. For the 75 gal, how many gsp would you recommend or 1 and any tankmates(open to none as I know this seems to be debatable)

3. Sump + Refugium. Would you add copepods to refugium (pure marine block & chaeto). If so, how do you control population? Would you add any other animals to the sump/fuge?

4. Most importantly, I don’t have any great lfs near me besides Petsmart/petco. Is there a good reputable dealer that you would recommend to purchase the puffer from. Preferably that has been dewormed and such but not required. Regardless of type, I prefer to greatly increase odds of a healthy fish to start with.

I am very comfortable around aquariums but new to the puffer world. Since I am in the process of the tank build, I do not need to rush the decision and will be an after the new year decision to ensure my tank parameters are perfect before purchasing.
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Re: New Tank

Post by hadla »

Welcome and glad you’re doing research first! I have a gsp and a Ceylon... Ceylons are a lot harder to find though... I’d say 2 gsps for a 75 or one of each if you can add them at the same time :) I don’t think you need to worry about too many pods lol...
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR